How much should petrol/diesel cost us?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Has there been a study to actually show this however? There are plenty of normal people who travel a lot as part of their jobs, far more than the Queen I’m sure
One ot the people who has choronious virus has come from Singapore, been in a hotel in France & is now in the UK, it all appears to be within a couple of weeks, no idea what he does, whether it was pleasure or work, but it seems a lot of traveling.
Worried about climate change? Stop reproducing in such numbers.
I suggested this a couple of weeks ago on another thread, some people didn't seem to like it, you should only be able to replace yourself, gets complicated in multi relationships but it could be legislated against, the issue will be the religious.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
One ot the people who has choronious virus has come from Singapore, been in a hotel in France & is now in the UK, it all appears to be within a couple of weeks, no idea what he does, whether it was pleasure or work, but it seems a lot of traveling.

I suggested this a couple of weeks ago on another thread, some people didn't seem to like it, you should only be able to replace yourself, gets complicated in multi relationships but it could be legislated against, the issue will be the religious.

Yes, birth control, as a solution to population growth and resulting increased resource usage seems to have gone out of fashion. Rarely if ever gets a mention. ;)

DRHysted

Guru

I’ve done my bit by not reproducing. To be fair there’s probably a lot of people who are pleased with this decision.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Yes, birth control, as a solution to population growth and resulting increased resource usage seems to have gone out of fashion. Rarely if ever gets a mention. ;)
And that is the root of the problem. No matter how "Green" people claim to be, they only want measures taken that don't impact on them personally. It's east to shout about banning cars when you don't drive or flying when you don't need to fly anywhere, but the inconvenient truths are ignored and not even commented on in many cases.

Urgent population control is absolutely vital but it will never happen because it needs to be world wide and by the time that strikes home to people it will be too late - we could well be passed the point where it matters anyway. Which is why I believe we will be farked sometime this century, quite possibly when we start fighting over dwindling recourses and those in countries that become uninhabitable try to enter those that still are - and will almost certainly be resisted.

In real terms, after taking into account the effects of inflation, fuel is cheaper now than it was in the 1970's. And yet people moan about how expensive it is! So yes, it needs to go up.

When you also factor in that 95% of all private car purchases are now PCP, meaning people never actually own the car outright, they merely pay £300-£500 pm and then after 3 years, roll it over to get a new car, the whole system merely encourages people to use their cars more and more.

It needs radical thought to engineer a way out.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Also keep in mind the cost paid by many high mileage business users is less than the price at the pumps, they might benefit from fuel pre-purchase schemes, so even if the price is £1.36 for a litre of diesel, they'll be paying something closer to £1.15p a litre.

screenman

Legendary Member
In real terms, after taking into account the effects of inflation, fuel is cheaper now than it was in the 1970's. And yet people moan about how expensive it is! So yes, it needs to go up.

When you also factor in that 95% of all private car purchases are now PCP, meaning people never actually own the car outright, they merely pay £300-£500 pm and then after 3 years, roll it over to get a new car, the whole system merely encourages people to use their cars more and more.

It needs radical thought to engineer a way out.

Amongst some of the people I know who use PCP some have told me they do less mileage than they used to when they owned cars, I think the mileage excesses help concentrate the mind. Many of my dealer customers have seen a decline in sales and a decline in the % bought on finance provided by them. Oddly brand makes a difference to the type of customer who buy, Mazda cash, Audi credit ect. Mazda though used to rely on the silver dollar, which is not as huge as it once was.

D

Deleted member 26715

Amongst some of the people I know who use PCP some have told me they do less mileage than they used to when they owned cars, I think the mileage excesses help concentrate the mind.
Although both BMW & Mercedes have just both lost a law suit against them that it is illegal to charge for excess mileage.

screenman

Legendary Member
Although both BMW & Mercedes have just both lost a law suit against them that it is illegal to charge for excess mileage.

Wow! that is interesting and will throw a few spanners in the works, we all know that a 30,000 mile 3 year old car is worth more than a 130,000 mile one, as we know this is how they work out contract prices.

I can only find news relating to early return.

Top Bottom