How much technology on a bike is "too much"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I just discovered that the latest road bike components on the market are smarter than I am.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2252181/wired-bike

Interesting article on new technologies being integrated into bikes making the experience more "car-like".

Are these genuinely useful, will they trickle down to become common place or will things like programmable gear change buttons always be a bit niche?

Drago

Legendary Member
They won't be for me. The beauty of a bicycle is the purity and simplicity of its engineering, the refinement and development of a mechanical device that the Victorians started. The introduction of electronics breaks that chain, and we lose that direct link to the past.

A cheap electronic casio is a far superior chronometer to my new Tudor, but I still know which I'd rather have.

Some might like it, and fair play to them. However, the use of electrons isn't something I'll be getting into.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Interesting article. I wondered about that - you are about to be hit- 'rearview radar' kit though.
I've ridden with a couple of people using rear-facing radar. It seems OK and not too intrusive, but I think it doesn't distinguish cars from other cyclists and it doesn't often hear things earlier than someone with good hearing. Maybe a good addition to a mirror if you find it difficult to look behind you.

petek

Über Member
IMG_4533.JPG
I've ridden with a couple of people using rear-facing radar. It seems OK and not too intrusive, but I think it doesn't distinguish cars from other cyclists and it doesn't often hear things earlier than someone with good hearing. Maybe a good addition to a mirror if you find it difficult to look behind you.

Not used one of these but seen them out and about. My concern with tech in general and battery powered tech on bikes in particular is that it can get wet and fail.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Tis strange, but in 50 years of cycling, I have advanced from a single speed fixed, to multi geared bikes, but in the garage there is still a fixed and a single speed and it is usually one of these that I pick up when off for a ride or TT.
I built a singlespeed bike (with freehub, not fixed) out of old bits last autumn. I did it just for fun and thought I might use it for the odd trip to the shops or nipping down the valley to visit friends. In fact, I found that I enjoy riding it much more than I expected to and have done 1,273 miles on it since 27th November, including metric centuries, imperial centuries and even one '200' (km).

My concern with tech in general and battery powered tech on bikes in particular is that it can get wet and fail.
I have used my ancient Etrex GPS for 11 years, on over 30,000 km of rides in all sorts of bad weather and it hasn't failed me once! There was just one time when it struggled to get a satellite lock and a reset soon sorted that out.

I know lots of more modern GPS devices are nowhere near as reliable though.

I spotted a link on here today to a rear light, I think in "spotted a bargain?" and clicked on it. It was for a rear light which linked to your phone, and "did stuff". I rolled my eyes.

Top Bottom