How much will extra body weight effect performance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi.

I seem to have gained around half a stone in the past month, maybe less than a month, it's really odd as I have not changed my diet and my cycling was pretty much the same up untill the end of last week where I was pretty active. Would this half a stone actually impact on hill climbing and on the flat that much? It's abit baffling as to why and where this weight could be put on as I look the same.

Thanks
Will.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
it would have an impact but not as much as weight directly on bike, ie a pannier or something. I'm sure someone can come along and offer some specifics but my guess would be that active bodyweight probably has an impact around 25% of dead weight.

Will1985

Über Member
The season is winding down if you're competing. Chill out about it and worry about next season.

Anyway, think of it as resistance training.

Young Un

Will1985 said:
The season is winding down if you're competing. Chill out about it and worry about next season.

Anyway, think of it as resistance training.

Yup, I see extra weight as extra training, if I can beat people who are little whippets, then just think what I could do if I lost a stone.

I've just started (last month) trying to cut down on my weight ready for cyclo-cross (cyclo-cross plus TT's means my season never winds downxx()

It's more about that I don't want this extra weight if it's bad weight like fat, if it's muscle then I'm happy with it, but I have a fatty stomach and chest and no matter how much riding I'd do it never seems to burn it off.

I mean last week I was climbing as normal, so going from 12.1 to 12.5 is not much? Maybe like 2 750ml bottles or a large saddle bag?

I'm trying to stay active on the bike as in trying to not loose any fitness and possibly keep at the level I am, or get better with as little training as possible, and with this comes the worry about weight gain. I don't really want to go swimming or go to the gym.

Young Un

willhub said:
It's more about that I don't want this extra weight if it's bad weight like fat, if it's muscle then I'm happy with it, but I have a fatty stomach and chest and no matter how much riding I'd do it never seems to burn it off.

I mean last week I was climbing as normal, so going from 12.1 to 12.5 is not much? Maybe like 2 750ml bottles or a large saddle bag?

I always think about this with water bottles - 1l of water is an extra 1 kg in weight right theer - do a ride with out them, then do one with - can you feel a difference?

Young Un

willhub said:
I guess not really, I did 60miles the other week with saddle bag and 2 750ml bottles on and still managed 20mph avg over rolling terrain.

Theres you answer then - it doesn't really matter (unless, like me, you think you have a flabby stomach and moobs, in which case, excersice more, eat less - although this hasn't been helping me shift the weight:angry:)

See I have a large appetite, I do indeed think and I know I have a flabby stomach and moobs lukilly no one would think it unless I've not got a shirt on. I used to be cycling most days, it certainly removed fat from around my face, neck, arms, legs but not the rest, I can't exercise more I'm having to drastically cut back cycling at the moment.

Young Un

willhub said:
See I have a large appetite, I do indeed think and I know I have a flabby stomach and moobs lukilly no one would think it unless I've not got a shirt on. I used to be cycling most days, it certainly removed fat from around my face, neck, arms, legs but not the rest, I can't exercise more I'm having to drastically cut back cycling at the moment.

I'm exactly like you, I eat a lot portion wise, but you wouldn't think I had moobs and a flabby stomach if I had a t-shirt on. it's just that I know its there and it bugs me. I will never fly up hills as I am built rather well (I currently weigh in at 13 stone or 83kg:blush:)

I used to weigh 13.5stone last year, lost about 1.5 stone in the space of a month or two, I'd say I'm a good all rounder but I can do hills faster than allot of people I guess, in my club anyway, on the flat TT's compared to the Hilly TT's I'm closer the 1st than in the flat TT's.

montage

God Almighty
How tall are you both?

I'm just over 6'2 and weight in around 12 stone ..... I can really notice the difference between carrying 2 full water bottles and carrying nothing. As a rough guess, if I were to tackle a 0.5mile long climb and do it in 4 mins I would say that the water bottles would slow me down 10-15 seconds.

I'm not bothered about my weight until next season.... I know I won't put on more than half a stone, and I doubt I can loose more than a stone. When I am stripping down weight.

Try and do 20-30 mins twice a week before breakfast...even if this is just fast walking. I would also say eat lodes at lunch and then less at dinner time. Use fruit for snacks and cut out fizzy drinks etc ..... easy on the booze aswell. Simples.

Young Un

Bout 5" 9 1/2 for me

I go for a run about twice a week before breakfast (30 mins) and sometimes once in the afternoon some other time. I don't eat much junk food - I cut it all out but Iive noticed it's creeping back in - that will change tomorrow. I easily get my 5 a day, and I don't drink that often either. The weight still won't shift though, even though I am doing around 140 miles a week:angry:

Top Bottom