How much will extra body weight effect performance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

walker

if you gain more weight you'd be faster on the flats where you will gain more weight to push down on the pedals.
I've always been faster on the flats due to my build, and totally turd on hills, when riding with my old club in the UK I was always the last up the hill, but always caught and passed once I got up and over the top.
Don't get too hung up on weight unless your racing or a pro

Bill Gates

I think I read somewhere that if you are able to lose some surplus weight it will have a positive effect on your CV system as well as making it easier to climb.

Crankarm

Guru
If you feel hungry it is probably because you are actually thirsty. Drink water instead of eating food. Don't eat after 6pm so when you go to sleep your stomach isn't full of food :angry:. Eat main meal of the day at lunchtime.
Do lots of stomach crunches right to left and left to right, and chin ups to increase core strength. After two weeks you'll have a 6 pack.

blazed

220lb+
willhub said:
It's more about that I don't want this extra weight if it's bad weight like fat, if it's muscle then I'm happy with it, but I have a fatty stomach and chest and no matter how much riding I'd do it never seems to burn it off.

I mean last week I was climbing as normal, so going from 12.1 to 12.5 is not much? Maybe like 2 750ml bottles or a large saddle bag?

I'm trying to stay active on the bike as in trying to not loose any fitness and possibly keep at the level I am, or get better with as little training as possible, and with this comes the worry about weight gain. I don't really want to go swimming or go to the gym.

Whats your body fat %? Generally you can see start seeing your abs at 10% by the sounds of it you are probably around 15%+? You need to do more than just riding to burn fat, exercise is only a tiny portion of it its all about diet so thats probably where you are messing up.

bonk man

If you want to lose weight......

Give up dairy and meat.....

Give up beer.....

sad but truexx(

I lost a stone in a few weeks when I packed in the milk and cheese, I pack the beer in for short periods to knock a few pounds off if I am starting to get a bit porlky looking.

Riding good steady miles burns fat, but most of us don't have the time.
Any diet has to be a lifestyle change and not a fad so going vegan is pretty much a serious way to do it but worth it. You have to replace some vits etc with supplements or investigate alternatives but vegans are generally healthier apparently. My time trial times are slightly better :thumbsup: so got to be worth it. ...

jimboalee

Bill Gates said:
I think I read somewhere that if you are able to lose some surplus weight it will have a positive effect on your CV system as well as making it easier to climb.

I read somewhere...

"99.9% of Doctors know what fuel to put in their automobile's gas tank, but 99.9% of Human Beings don't know what fuel to put in their stomachs."

lukesdad

Crankarm said:
If you feel hungry it is probably because you are actually thirsty. Drink water instead of eating food. Don't eat after 6pm so when you go to sleep your stomach isn't full of food :wacko:. Eat main meal of the day at lunchtime.
Do lots of stomach crunches right to left and left to right, and chin ups to increase core strength. After two weeks you'll have a 6 pack.

hes right about the wateryou know. Try drinking a pint before your meals that will dampen your appetite.

Top Bottom