How much would you spend on an aftershave?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I sometimes wear Joop! Because it reminds me of my student days, it was my first proper scent as a 17th birthday present. It's quite cheap, not too overpowering and lasts for quite a while.
Not how I've experienced it on others! I've never sniffed it subtly. The times I've smelt it on someone it seems they've put half the bottle on in one go!!xx(

When I was a teacher I got landed with a group of 6th formers and told to 'do something about finance' - and about 2 minutes warning

I got them to research the student 'loans' and then work out a budget that would not overspend for the length of the whole term

We split everything into essential, needed, wanted, luxury or some such thing

One boy had aftershave in Essential
at £30 a WEEK

he had a bit of trouble getting his budget to balance

Personally my total spend on aftershave is negative - I have several years worth of Christmas 'men's stuff' boxes - some of which contain aftershave

I can;t use it - gives me a rash

mustang1

Guru
Ive never used after shave for the purpose of post shaving.

However i do use various scents (idk if that is EdT, aftershave, perfume or whatever you call it). Whatever its called, i occasionally use it in the evenings.

How much? I keep it around £50-100. I usually have less than three bottles of various scents but currently have 4 and they usually last a few years. Idk how many ml they are.

I have a passionate dislike of scents. It's like smoking to me, totally antisocial in that what you enjoy everyone else has to suffer. Passive scenting you could say.

If you don't think it causes any harm I can tell you that I've had the beginnings of an asthma attack because of someone's artificial scent and she or he hadn't put that much on!

Smoking, valine and scenting should be done in a chemical fume cupboard not in public.

Reminds me of those little perspex booths in airport lounges for smokers. They should be forced to carry one around with them if they wear perfume or other scent.

Petrichorwheels

I saw an advert with David Beckham pushing fragrance for men. He had a beard, so it can't even be described as aftershave. Not unless he uses it on his bollocks, which I wouldn't rule out.

you may be inspired to know that there is at least one company flogging balls balm - saw it once at a bike exhibition. How on earth did folks ever face the world without this stuff before?

Petrichorwheels

during my time as a teacher I was allocated to teach Business Studies a couple of times - I had worked in a big business so clearly I was qualified - schools work like that
Anyway - I read up on a few things and found out some things about marketing

e.g. the term 'After Shave' was coined by a marketing person who was trying to find a way of increasing the sales of Eau-de-Toilette - the market for women was just about maxed out - they just had to fight for market share .
But men didn't buy anything like that because it was for women. But call it After Shave and tell the women that it is what real men wear and off you go - a whole new market sector to offloads the high profit stuff into - and initially the stuff they called After Shave was the cheaper stuff that most women would never go near!

Dunno if it is true - but it's a good story if I have remembered it right!

rings true to me - I well remember once in a shop asking what the difference was between the body moisturiser (big tub, pretty cheap) and face moisturizer (tiddly dispenser - rather pricey) - never got a straight answer. I do moisturise but just use nivea light - you can screw the tops of those press-top pricey dispensers and refill them.

Petrichorwheels

- particularly Vintage Amber; based on a sample of one (Lovely Wife) this fragrance drives women wild. ^_^

I'll await a more scientific controlled experiment - other factors could have been involved. Maybe the healthy pong of just having returned from a bike ride, or the reassuring smell of post-washing-up Fairy.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I get given loads, got tonnes of the stuff. Not bought any in years. When I was racing, I used to pour some in a squirty bottle, then add water. It was great for removing embrocation after a race (think deep heat but hotter). Worked a treat.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I have a passionate dislike of scents. It's like smoking to me, totally antisocial in that what you enjoy everyone else has to suffer. Passive scenting you could say.

If you don't think it causes any harm I can tell you that I've had the beginnings of an asthma attack because of someone's artificial scent and she or he hadn't put that much on!

Smoking, valine and scenting should be done in a chemical fume cupboard not in public.

Reminds me of those little perspex booths in airport lounges for smokers. They should be forced to carry one around with them if they wear perfume or other scent.

Wow that's quite grumpy.

I'd rather catch a wiff of someone's aftershave or perfume than their BO.

You can't get asthma attacks from BO afaik but I've had a tight chest and difficulty breathing from perfume. If you think that's being grumpy then I'll rather accept that than other people's perfume making me unwell. Imho it's a form of assault. I'm not talking a subtle whiff but enough fumes to take breath away! It's surprising how many people can't judge how much is enough!

As to BO. It's caused by bacteria right? Surely masking it isn't the best solution, just have a wash occasionally and ditch the overpriced alcohol based aftershave. It's really not needed unless you're especially dirty and stinky. Lol

Top Bottom