How much would you spend on an aftershave?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I've clearly been lacking some astringency in my life :laugh:. My skin feels fine without any chemicals on it. Rinsing with water doesn't irritate my skin and it doesn't make me smell like a chemists' test tube either. Shaving is a chore, not a ritual, etc. etc. :whistle:

YMMV, obviously. But when half an hour in the morning is literally the only time in the day you get to yourself, these little acts of self care take on a certain significance.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I haven't got a TV.

(am I doing this right?)

Dave7

Legendary Member
I do use aftershave (as my harem demands it ^_^). I tend to use basic Avon stuff but have some good stuff for when I feel like it.

Petrichorwheels

My dad used to overdo the after shave. He'd walk into a room and flies within a 20ft radius would drop dead.

I'm very conscious of not putting too much on. Currently using Boss, Maxime Icon (Avon) and Eucris (Ian Fleming's preference and Bond apparently wore it). All gifts. The Eucris was about £60.

bit surprised anyone still uses it to be honest.
off to google Eucris - sounds dodgy, god knows what that name is meant to convey.

your dad can rest easy - known one or two women who used overpowering flowery stuff in the past, most notably an ex schoolteacher - that stuff always makes me think of 17th or is it 18th century women trying to cover up some sort of rot/disease/lack of basic hygiene.

winjim

Smash the cistern
In case anyone's interested, I'm currently using DR Harris Windsor, but some LPL Oud Santal arrived last week which smells lovely. Each around £15 - £20 a bottle.

stephec

Legendary Member
during my time as a teacher I was allocated to teach Business Studies a couple of times - I had worked in a big business so clearly I was qualified - schools work like that
Anyway - I read up on a few things and found out some things about marketing

e.g. the term 'After Shave' was coined by a marketing person who was trying to find a way of increasing the sales of Eau-de-Toilette - the market for women was just about maxed out - they just had to fight for market share .
But men didn't buy anything like that because it was for women. But call it After Shave and tell the women that it is what real men wear and off you go - a whole new market sector to offloads the high profit stuff into - and initially the stuff they called After Shave was the cheaper stuff that most women would never go near!

Dunno if it is true - but it's a good story if I have remembered it right!

On a similar theme, I did read about twenty years ago that Clinique pulled off a marketing masterstroke by repackaging moisturisers, and other such types of skincare products, in grey bottles and claiming it was a men's range.

presta

Guru
I made myself allergic to all this sort of stuff when I ignored the warning on a can of deodorant not to use it on broken skin. I'd just popped a zit, and then sprayed my armpit anyway.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
One of my teachers at school said his first job was in a chemists, decanting the shampoo from barrels into the big glass bottles. It arrived clear and he then added the colourant - blue for dry hair, pink for greasy.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I feel like this thread is split between people who believe nonsense claims about products, and people who believe nonsense claims about products...

Top Bottom