How much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rachnewbie

Hi

I am planning to start cycling to work. It is about 20 years since I last owned a bike and I have never purchased my own (I'm 34).

From the bits I have read online there does not seem any point getting an £100 bike from Halfords because it won't last. Can anyone give me any advice on what to look for and how much I can expect to spend. I am on a budget but would rather spend a little more and have it last than spend the minimum and have it fall apart in six months. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

First up congratulations on your decision to start cycling again :thumbsup:

What sort of bike are you going to need depends on various factors? Are you going to be commuting soley on road or a mix of road and path/track/trail?

Is it going to be just commuting or do you plan to get out at weekends too? If so the same question again, what sort of riding do you envisage doing?

New bikes depreciate quite heavily, so you need to try and get it right first time as it will cost you dearly to start swapping and changin unless you're happy to buy used? This is an excelelnt way to get more bang for your buck, but you do need your wits about you and some mechanical nouse certianly helps as well.

So give us some info and people will no doubt wade in with some targeted suggestions :thumbsup:

OP
OP
R

Rachnewbie

I definitely do not have any mechanical nouse - not yet anyway. The route I will be taking will be mainly city roads (Manchester) but there are multiple hills. I also have the option of using canal paths but I'm not too confident about personal safety if I use these - I'll have to think about that.

At the moment I am quite unfit and heavy so another thought that has crossed my mind is would the bike take my weight! I will primarily be using it for commuting but with two children I would like to think we will go out at weekends in time.

I would be quite happy buying second hand but as stated above I have no mechanical knowledge (and neither does my husband) so would be cautious due to lack of 'house'.

Pauluk

Hybrid bikes are well worth considering. They are a bit more versatile as they have medium rim thickness and can take thin and slick tyres for faster road cycling or thicker tyres for a more cushioned ride. Hybrids are usually stronger than a road bike (generally speaking) so are the preferred choice for a lot of people that combine road and off road (canal tow paths, tracks etc) with one bike.They are an excellent compromise between a road bike and a mountain bike.

From what I can tell, you should be able to get good secondhand hybrids from places such as ebay but I would suggest buying fairly locally so you can try the bike for size/fit before you buy and if you can take someone along who can cast a critical eye over the bike for you then so much the better.

Hope you get fixed up soon.

John90

Über Member
Don't entirely rule out the cheaper end of the market - by which I mean Halfords or, if you have one close, Decathlon, rather than the local supermarket. If all you want to do is get to work and back, plus get fit, then they may be your best option, although I'd go a tad higher than £100. After a certain point, the extra cost is about better performance rather than longevity, and maintaining that performance can cost you a lot in servicing. Decathlon do some good bikes at around the £200 mark.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
One thing I don't think you've mentioned is how far your commute is?
Decathlons great, my £200 commuters from there and done 4500+ miles. They do a nice carbon forked road bike (Triban 2 or 3 (?)) for £300 I believe they also work with the 'cycle to work' scheme. I'm sure I've seen signs up in there.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
+1 re cycle to work scheme although never used it myself . but myself and many others use good olde fashioned steel bikes to commute on . loads of choice on differant websites

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
What bikes have you been looking at so far?

I dont think weight really matters unless youre either a) very heavy or b) using super lightweight racing wheels. Im cycling around at 19 stone and the only difference seems to be that i wear out components (especially brake pads :whistle:) a little bit faster than the super skinnys and im sure theres been much heavier.

From what youve said, for some commuting on roads/tow paths/trails and family cycling id probably suggest a hybrid as a good allrounder.

Cycle to Work Scheme would be ideal if you can get it. I wouldnt be confident buying second hand without a reasonable grasp of how well a bike is running/has been treated, too much of a gamble as your only bike imho.

Welcome :biggrin:

OP
OP
R

Rachnewbie

I'm waiting for a response from the transport co-ordinator at my work. I know there was a 'window' in May where bikes could be ordered but as strange as it sounds it hadn't crossed my mind. I work for the NHS but when I looked into it the FAQs stated this quite possibly would not be available again. I have been waiting for a week for acknowledgment of email - very annoying!

Potentially my round trip will be 20miles a day when I am fit enough to tackle all the hills that are local to me. For the time being it will be about 12 miles (possibly a little more if I go the long way round to avoid steep hills)

The bikes I have looked at have been hybrids I have been to Evans today to have a look and it has confused me even more! I like the look of the vintage Dawes but am not sure they would be adequate to hand the hills I will be tackling - albeit after my fitness improves. The others I've looked at are Trek bikes - I've never heard of Trek before but that's not saying much with my lack of knowledge. lol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Just last week this topic came up and I did a google and came across THIS BIKE which would be a good choice as a starter commuter bike in my opinion. I particularly like this as the rear hub gears are the embodiment of simplicity. Expect to pay around £200-£300 for a reasonable commuter bike for the distances you are suggesting but be prepared to pay more for something that really takes your fancy. Don't be put of by the apparant negativity towards hybrid bikes that you may encounter on this forum. I strongly believe it is a valid segment of the bike market and has it's place in the cycling world as rightly as any other type of bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Some schemes are tied into certain suppliers , where i work uses halfords although they can source other brands you will pay full rrp for non halfords bikes.
With a hybrid you can get bikes based on MTB`s with 26 " wheels or road bikes with 700c wheels, not much in it TBH .The MTB wheels tend to be tougher but a little slower.
If your in the market for a bombproof commuter the carrera subway`s are well liked and can be fitted with gaurds + rack .
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_840933_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

sidevalve

Über Member
Don't be too dismissive of Halfords, the carrera range can be quite usable [check out the Subway] however they are a fair bit over £100 [unless you look out for a second hand one]. There are many good used bikes out there [as I've said in another post] that may only need a new chain/tyres/a good clean and lube. These are wearables so you will have to deal with them sooner or later but there is loads of advice on the net etc. MTBs {even cheapy cheapy ones} are GREAT fun for playing in the dirt/mud but not really ideal for on road use.
I would make one recomendation do not waste you time with suspension [even if you decide to use the towpaths] at the lower end it only adds weight for naff all gain

Top Bottom