How much?????????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
The cynic in me thinks that the fact that Deloitte are involved tells you exactly who this is being marketed at... I don't subscribe to the whole dentists-on-expensive-carbon-bikes meme, but when I imagine taking part in this then that's pretty much how I imagine most of the participants to be. I'm cross with myself for thinking it, but I bet it's the most competitive multi-day non-competitive event that you'd see. Essentially, you're buying into an exclusive 9-day sportive. The photo's & blurb on the website do nothing to disabase me of that notion.

However, in a duplicitious and entirely two-faced way, I'd love to take part. If I had the money sitting spare then I know I'd probably ride it. There is nothing about the idea of riding with luggage that appeals to me. I've always wanted to ride a JOGLE, but the organisational aspect is a bit daunting.

[devil's advocate]I'd be curious to know how much of the entry fee is for costs, and how much makes up the charity aspect. On the assumption that the ride cost, say, £300 to take part, but you had to raise a minimum £1500 in sponsorship - would you view it any differently?[/devil's advocate]

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if you want to do a supported LEJoG and raise money for charity..........http://www.theraceagainsttime.com/

and if you really want to overpay for something...... http://www.moonriders.co.uk/

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Hello! New here! I signed on as I was doing some Internet research on the Deloitte JOGLE, which is happening in 2013 and I was trying find some folks views and experiences of having ridden these Deloitte events, as yet to no avail.

It's interesting to read the opinions above, it is a hell of a lot on money for a 9 day cycle trip, and I have no doubt, if I could be bothered I could do the JOGLE for a fraction of that cost, but can I be bothered? I'm not sure.

If I sign up to next years ride, I get everything done for me, the route is sorted, the luggage is sorted, the accommodation and food is sorted. I think there is something like 600 people do this event, and the organisers find the campsites, and set up all the individual tents, and provide the beds, the toilets the showers, the back up, the insurance, the sweeper vehicles. A hell of a logistical task I would think.

Anyhow, my mind is not yet made, though I have registered an interest in doing this event, I like the idea of it but it is a hell of a lot cash! I could have two weeks in the south of France in a private villa with pool for that money. But would it be as much fun?

I'd be interested in your opinions.

robgul

Legendary Member
Hello! New here! I signed on as I was doing some Internet research on the Deloitte JOGLE, which is happening in 2013 and I was trying find some folks views and experiences of having ridden these Deloitte events, as yet to no avail.

It's interesting to read the opinions above, it is a hell of a lot on money for a 9 day cycle trip, and I have no doubt, if I could be bothered I could do the JOGLE for a fraction of that cost, but can I be bothered? I'm not sure.

If I sign up to next years ride, I get everything done for me, the route is sorted, the luggage is sorted, the accommodation and food is sorted. I think there is something like 600 people do this event, and the organisers find the campsites, and set up all the individual tents, and provide the beds, the toilets the showers, the back up, the insurance, the sweeper vehicles. A hell of a logistical task I would think.

Anyhow, my mind is not yet made, though I have registered an interest in doing this event, I like the idea of it but it is a hell of a lot cash! I could have two weeks in the south of France in a private villa with pool for that money. But would it be as much fun?

I'd be interested in your opinions.

Some of the comments up-thread are relevant ... but it's horses for courses - it's clearly marketed to the "I want it all on a plate" people (there's nothing wrong with that - many people are time-poor, cash-rich) and if they're happy to pay that's fine.

It's unreal to make comparisons with the "sleep under a hedge" brigade - they're horses that prefer a different course ...

Having ridden both JOGLE & LEJOG (we passed the first Deloitte ride, going the other way on our 2010 LEJOG and the entourage was amazing) I like many people derived great pleasure from planning the ride as well as doing it ... running the cycle-endtoend.org.uk site brings lots of questions from would-be riders - and second to route questions is cost ... my stab is that for a typical 14 day B&B ride it's about £1,000/1,100 if you add all the getting there/getting back costs etc.

Have a look at the sort of prices that the E2E organised trip (commercial) people charge (links on my website) ... even the CTC Holidays trip is quite a lot ... and not that far from the Deloitte cost.

I have 3 friends who have ridden the Deloitte ride ... one suffered with the medical problems they had with the first ride - "beds lined up in a tent with people attached to drips ... looked like a scene from MASH" .... another was, I think, stage leader for 5 or 6 days. All raved about the excellence of the organisation and facilities ... and in each instance prepared to pay for the service.

Rob

Lee_M

Guru
Horse for courses surely?

Everything is laid on for you, routes, food accommodation, massage, out riders paramedics etc

Yes you can do it cheaper, and they say that on the website but it seems a reasonable price for what you get.

If you don't want to pay and have the time expertise to plan it all yourself, and carry all your luggage, the that's an option.

Me? If I was doing it, this would be the way at least the first time

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Some of the comments up-thread are relevant ... but it's horses for courses - it's clearly marketed to the "I want it all on a plate" people (there's nothing wrong with that - many people are time-poor, cash-rich) and if they're happy to pay that's fine.

It's unreal to make comparisons with the "sleep under a hedge" brigade - they're horses that prefer a different course ...

Having ridden both JOGLE & LEJOG (we passed the first Deloitte ride, going the other way on our 2010 LEJOG and the entourage was amazing) I like many people derived great pleasure from planning the ride as well as doing it ... running the cycle-endtoend.org.uk site brings lots of questions from would-be riders - and second to route questions is cost ... my stab is that for a typical 14 day B&B ride it's about £1,000/1,100 if you add all the getting there/getting back costs etc.

Have a look at the sort of prices that the E2E organised trip (commercial) people charge (links on my website) ... even the CTC Holidays trip is quite a lot ... and not that far from the Deloitte cost.

I have 3 friends who have ridden the Deloitte ride ... one suffered with the medical problems they had with the first ride - "beds lined up in a tent with people attached to drips ... looked like a scene from MASH" .... another was, I think, stage leader for 5 or 6 days. All raved about the excellence of the organisation and facilities ... and in each instance prepared to pay for the service.

Rob

Ahh! I forgot about your site, I looked at that a while ago, I shall pop over and have another look. Thanks for the reply.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Horse for courses surely?

Everything is laid on for you, routes, food accommodation, massage, out riders paramedics etc

Yes you can do it cheaper, and they say that on the website but it seems a reasonable price for what you get.

If you don't want to pay and have the time expertise to plan it all yourself, and carry all your luggage, the that's an option.

Me? If I was doing it, this would be the way at least the first time

That's what appeals to me, what puts me off doing the JOGLE is carrying all the gear. I appreciate for some folk that all part of the appeal and the challenge, me, I just want to ride my bike.

One more thing puts me off too, the getting to JOG and getting back from LE. Both significant journeys in them selves.
And as for for Caravaning, I'd rather shave all the skin off my bum and sit in a bath of vinegar for a week.

sabian92

Über Member
Caravanning isn't THAT bad :biggrin: At least, static ones aren't. Beds are a bit ropey but they're still a lot better than wild camping if you like a shower and a full kitchen, even in a mobile caravan.

As for £1750 - if you have it, go for it. I certainly don't but if I was fit enough, wanted to do a JOGLE or LEJOG without carrying luggage, I'd probably pay it when I had it.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Caravanning isn't THAT bad :biggrin: At least, static ones aren't. Beds are a bit ropey but they're still a lot better than wild camping if you like a shower and a full kitchen, even in a mobile caravan.

As for £1750 - if you have it, go for it. I certainly don't but if I was fit enough, wanted to do a JOGLE or LEJOG without carrying luggage, I'd probably pay it when I had it.

You make a good point, a static caravan might be the answer.

With regards to your user name, are a drummer by any chance?

sabian92

Über Member
You make a good point, a static caravan might be the answer.

With regards to your user name, are a drummer by any chance?

Although most parks will only let you do a minimum 3/4 night stay. No all male/females under 25 etc... you know how it is unfortunately. Bit wrong to be honest. I suppose they only might let you do a 1 nighter in the winter (and that's even if they're open - they have to shut for 6 weeks a year so gypsies can't just pitch their caravans where they like under the same laws as a caravan park), but who wants to do a JOGLE or LEJOG in the middle of winter? Not me :biggrin:

Indeed I am - or least I was before I moved house and wasn't able to play my kit. I play bass and guitar as well although pretty badly. Yourself?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Although most parks will only let you do a minimum 3/4 night stay. No all male/females under 25 etc... you know how it is unfortunately. Bit wrong to be honest. I suppose they only might let you do a 1 nighter in the winter (and that's even if they're open - they have to shut for 6 weeks a year so gypsies can't just pitch their caravans where they like under the same laws as a caravan park), but who wants to do a JOGLE or LEJOG in the middle of winter? Not me :biggrin:

Indeed I am - or least I was before I moved house and wasn't able to play my kit. I play bass and guitar as well although pretty badly. Yourself?

Yep, I play the drums too, but nothing else, though I do have a guitar, but I haven't seen it for years!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
And this just from the Deloitte News Letter;

"...We are now just 4 days away from the start of Deloitte Ride Across Britain and 700 riders and 160 crew are poised and ready to undertake this monumental challenge. 960 miles of incredible scenery from Land's End to John O'Groats awaits those brave enough to have signed up. Having registered interest for 2013 we want you to get as close to the live action as possible. You will be able get a taste of what it is all about and hopefully it will tempt you to step up for next year..."

Seven hundred riders! @ 1800 queen?! Cripes Penfold!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I want to do LeJog 3 times and in order of cheapest to most expensive:-

1. all on my own staying in B&Bs but very much on an adhoc basis - I'd actually like to ride from home to the start and back to home from the finish

2. via the Deloitte, or similar, setup - fully supported and as luxurious as they offer

3. with some friends, no serious time limitations, low to medium mileage days and very much focused on fine wine and dining all the way.

Lee_M

Guru
well ive just registered for the deloitte ride, so now have a few days to decide if I want to do it before i give them my money

since I've never ridden further than 50 miles in one go its a bit daunting!

Top Bottom