How nice - !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
Deciding on a change, last week I used my bike with a Sturmey 5 speed hub. Knowing full well that the chain has stretched and need sorting, it occasionally jumps off the rear sprocket. Not a problem, a couple of minutes with my patent 'keep your hands clean gizmo' and I'm away again.
But what was impressive was that one day whilst I was remounting the chain, of the five cyclists that passed me, four slowed and asked if I needed any assistance.

Who said courtesy was a dying thing - ? :okay: :thumbsup:

Last edited:

ozboz

Guru
If I see a cyclist who looks as though they have a problem , I always get to them and ask if they need help , Ive only ever had to help one young lady in central London whose chain had popped off the rear single cog, it was a nice day but she would have had a longish walk ,

ozboz

Guru
I sometimes feel you are questioning their masculinity when you ask if they need help, judging by the grunts I usually get.
Mmm I know , but most are ok with it , on one occaision when I had a puncture , deep in snow , had everthing but my pump was broken, A few asked me what they could do but had no pump , one lad who also had no pump walked with me to the nearest garage he knew , Very decent ,

OP
OP
simongt

simongt

Guru
I sometimes feel you are questioning their masculinity when you ask if they need help, judging by the grunts I usually get.
My experience is usually a cheery but grateful refusal. But I think the point is that at least you are giving the OFFER of help to a fellow cyclist regardless of age, appearance, sex etc..

Slick

Guru
I would never cycle passed without offering, I know how much I would be boiling inside if I was the one who was stuck.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Last time I had a major problem (Broken chain) a car driver stopped, put my bike in the back and gave me a lift home. Needless to say he turned out to be a cyclist himself. I always stop if I see a cyclist in distress and no other rider has ever passed me by without checking I'm ok even if I'm only changing a tube.

BlueDog

Veteran
I was out once and came across a young family who had stopped in the middle of nowhere with a flat tyre, which was apparently due to a slow puncture. Seemed like a nice family, so I told him where I lived and lent him my pump so they could keep the tyre topped up for the rest of their ride. Later that evening my pump was returned along with a nice bottle of red wine. Now that's karma.

On another occasion I was out on my first ride on a new bike which had white bar tape. Unfortunately the the chain came off and I really didn't want the new bar tape to get covered in oil, so I was trying my best using some sticks found by the side of the road. Anyway, a young lad on a road bike came past, stopped and without any hesitation grabbed hold of the chain and put it straight back on. And off he rode into the sunset.

Lozz360

Veteran
I was out once and came across a young family who had stopped in the middle of nowhere with a flat tyre, which was apparently due to a slow puncture. Seemed like a nice family, so I told him where I lived and lent him my pump so they could keep the tyre topped up for the rest of their ride. Later that evening my pump was returned along with a nice bottle of red wine. Now that's karma.

On another occasion I was out on my first ride on a new bike which had white bar tape. Unfortunately the the chain came off and I really didn't want the new bar tape to get covered in oil, so I was trying my best using some sticks found by the side of the road. Anyway, a young lad on a road bike came past, stopped and without any hesitation grabbed hold of the chain and put it straight back on. And off he rode into the sunset.
A pair of latex gloves are always a useful thing to keep in one's saddle bag.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I keep an inner tube in the car.

Was out a few months ago and suddenly realised I'd forgotten my gas inflator. Sure enough, 10 minutes later the tyre went flat. So I fixed it and waited.... and five minutes later a cyclist came by and lent me his pump.

Mrs Gti and I once picked up a roadie on a skinny steel bike who had had a mechanical. He was a bit grumpy and when we reached his house we understood why: his wife was standing outside the house, arms folded like Andy Capp's wife Flo, tapping her foot and asking loudly: "Okay so what's he done THIS time?"

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Last week, I had an offer of help from a passing canal boat as I was attempting to fix a flat tyre (blackthorns!!).
I said that I was fine, thanks for asking.
Turns out it wasn't fine and I had a few miles to walk/jog into Mkt Harborough when I could have traveled in style there at 3mph :laugh:

Top Bottom