How not to sell a GPS system

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Bigtallfatbloke, 13 Feb 2008.

1. Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke New Member

I went into Field and trek today looking at GPS systems for my bike. Very helpful, very knowledgeable and welcoming I must say. However the Gpsmap 60csx is listed in the brochure I was given as costing £474.99 reduced from £524.99 (ouch!) ...we were talking about downloding maps from the internet and I was then told to take a look at these units online...ok..so I found the same thing here:

http://www.mynewcheap.co.uk/products/details/garmin-gpsmap-60csx-handheld-sat-nav-gps/10066/

for £238 :smile:

..is this just honesty.. or poor salesman ship...personally I think th ebloke did a good job and his bosses need to get in touch with the market.

2. walker

walker New Member

Why do you need a GPS system on your bike?

3. OP
    OP
    Bigtallfatbloke

..to stay in touch with the cosmos

4. walker

walker New Member

Now I understand, But thats what teletext holidays are for Surely?

5. HJ

HJ Cycling in Scotland

"As used by the SAS..." but they are always getting lost...

6. yello

yello Guru

Looks good on the handlebars.

7. ufkacbln

ufkacbln Guest

Actually they are not a bad thing as a guide.

My main use though is as a record.

I have a "blow by blow" account of my trip including all the points where I got lost, detoured and also climbs and speeds.

Great fun to relive your tours!

8. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

if I was going to go that route (hahahahaha) I'd be tempted by Memorymap as it uses & displays OS maps. My brain computes in OS map format! :smile:

9. pzycoman

pzycoman New Member

I bought the 60csx from fleabay at the start of december for 210, its a great gps device, bit large but its great

10. OP
    OP
    Bigtallfatbloke

whatever the GPS debate...how can a retail outlet justify a £200+ price differential like that?!

11. snorri

snorri Legendary Member

They have set up a stand with various items for you to look at and handle in a heated building close to your home, along with a knowledgable person to answer your questions and advise you.
    Why should anyone provide you with this service free of charge?

12. trustysteed

trustysteed Guest

i think i need to change my career. i'd like to earn a £200 differential just for a 10 min chat.

13. rich p

rich p ridiculous old lush

Can someone enlighten an ignoramus like me. Say you're touring France this summer (I am!), do you pre-log your entire route onto the GPS before you go or do it each evening en route?
    Personally I just buy local maps or road atlases and make it up as I go along with a rough idea of my preferred destination.
    I quite like the idea of seeing the route of where I've been though.

14. Paulus

Paulus Getting older by the minute

I'm the same as RP. Maps do for me as I like making the route up as I go along. If I get lost it is fun trying to get back on track through my own map reading skills. I don't need to have a gadget to tell me where to go.

15. Maps for me too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice