How not to sell a GPS system

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
rich p said:
Can someone enlighten an ignoramus like me. Say you're touring France this summer (I am!), do you pre-log your entire route onto the GPS before you go or do it each evening en route?
You would need computer mapping to put a route in, which costs money.

There is an alternative which uses Google Maps, but I haven't tried it yet - maybe in Belgium this summer...

davidwalton

NickM said:
You would need computer mapping to put a route in, which costs money.

There is an alternative which uses Google Maps, but I haven't tried it yet - maybe in Belgium this summer...

You can also map routes with the Garmin units that have Navigator maps loaded. Don't have to do it all on PC, unless you want to.

Expensive, but I went with the Garmin Vista HCx and City Navigator Europe NT Maps which provides me with all the mapping I might need, home or away, plus routing on the Vista unit as and when needed to find your way back.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
davidwalton said:
You can also map routes with the Garmin units that have Navigator maps loaded. Don't have to do it all on PC, unless you want to.

Expensive, but I went with the Garmin Vista HCx and City Navigator Europe NT Maps which provides me with all the mapping I might need, home or away, plus routing on the Vista unit as and when needed to find your way back.

How much did that lot cost and how big is it may I ask?

davidwalton

rich p said:
How much did that lot cost and how big is it may I ask?

The Vista unit was £220. The Europe Maps £140.

Size = around the same as a Mobile, just a little thicker. however, the handlebar mount works fine and does hold the unit firmly.

2 AA Batteries last 25 hours. I use 2900 rechargeable's.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
davidwalton said:
The Vista unit was £220. The Europe Maps £140.

Size = around the same as a Mobile, just a little thicker. however, the handlebar mount works fine and does hold the unit firmly.

2 AA Batteries last 25 hours. I use 2900 rechargeable's.

But that's a lot cheaper than the one BTFB is looking at?

davidwalton

rich p said:
But that's a lot cheaper than the one BTFB is looking at?

Yes, I did look at the GPSMap 60CSx. different range. Mine lists under ETrex range. As for what both do, very similar. The better battery life on the ETrex Vista is what swung it for me, rather than price. There is only £20 difference if you look around on the Internet.

davidwalton

BTW- Garmin have just released the latest maps update, so don't be fooled in to buying v9.

City Navigator Europe NT 2008 Deluxe is the one to get, assuming Europe is required.

Top Bottom