how nutritious is all-bran?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Bigtallfatbloke said:
I just have a bowl of porridge laced with lot's of honey before any rides over 20 miles these days...my thinking there is that i have both instant and slow release carbs in one easy package...I'm probably wrong.
But you're not ;)

boleary

Sounds like there is no benefit to eating honey. Think I'll save my money buying honey and just buy cheap granulated white sugar ;)

Fab Foodie

boleary said:
Sounds like there is no benefit to eating honey. Think I'll save my money buying honey and just buy cheap granulated white sugar :smile:
Ahhhhh
But sugar is just sucrose, Honey contains a different sugars and other goodies

Copied from the web...

Chemical Composition of Honey

Carbohydrates
Unsurprisingly, these comprise the major portion of honey - about 82%. The carbohydrates present are the monosaccharides fructose (38.2%) and glucose (31%); and disaccharides (~9%) sucrose, maltose, isomaltose, maltulose, turanose and kojibiose. There are also some oligosaccharides present (4.2%), including erlose, theanderose and panose, formed from incomplete breakdown of the higher saccharides present in nectar and honeydew.
Proteins and Amino Acids
Honey contains a number of enzymes, including invertase, which converts sucrose to glucose and fructose; amylase, which breaks starch down into smaller units; glucose oxidase, which converts glucose to gluconolactone, which in turn yields gluconic acid and hydrogen peroxide; catalase, which breaks down the peroxide formed by glucose oxidase to water and oxygen; and acid phosphorylase, which removes inorganic phosphate from organic phosphates.
Honey also contains eighteen free amino acids, of which the most abundant is proline.
Vitamins, Minerals and Antioxidants
Honey contains trace amounts of the B vitamins riboflavin, niacin, folic acid, pantothenic acid and vitamin B6. It also contains ascorbic acid (vitamin C), and the minerals calcium, iron, zinc, potassium, phosphorous, magnesium, selenium, chromium and manganese.
The main group of antioxidants in honey are the flavonoids, of which one, pinocembrin, is unique to honey and bee propolis. Ascorbic acid, catalase and selenium are also antioxidants. Generally speaking, the darker the honey, the greater its antioxidising properties.
Other compounds
Honey also contains organic acids such as acetic, butanoic, formic, citric, succinic, lactic, malic, pyroglutamic and gluconic acids, and a number of aromatic acids. The main acid present is gluconic acid, formed in the breakdown of glucose by glucose oxidase. Honey also contains hydroxymethylfurfural, a natural product of the breakdown of simple sugars below pH 5.

Better than just sucrose surely? ;)

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Fab Foodie;103686][quote name= said:
I just have a bowl of porridge laced with lot's of honey before any rides over 20 miles these days...my thinking there is that i have both instant and slow release carbs in one easy package...I'm probably wrong.
But you're not ;)[/QUOTE]

honey!, that's the bitch. I'll have to start getting that. Nice aswell.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Fab Foodie said:
My background is Food Technology and Biochemistry. Have worked as a Food Scientist for nearly 25 years now:blush:;)
You didn't ride the Pendle Pedal with me round to Clitheroe in 2006 did you? If so, have you completed your first century ride yet and how did it go?

Fab Foodie

ColinJ said:
You didn't ride the Pendle Pedal with me round to Clitheroe in 2006 did you? If so, have you completed your first century ride yet and how did it go?
Hi Colin
Alas it was not me, but thanks for asking!
Cheers
FF->.

domtyler

Über Member
ColinJ said:
Ah, in which case you aren't the only experienced Food Technologist cyclist I've encountered on cycling forums (fora?) then!

Not surprised, most cycling forums are crawling with the buggers!!

Fab Foodie

ColinJ said:
Ah, in which case you aren't the only experienced Food Technologist cyclist I've encountered on cycling forums (fora?) then!
That IS a scary thought...competition!
He might be more fab than me :smile::becool:;)
:becool::biggrin:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
I'm doing some work with a lab at the mo that's working on characterising different honies? honeys? using mass spec so that they can figure out where they come from-greek mountain thyme honeyj, english blahblahhoney etc etc......very interesting.

doyler78

To make my porridge interesting what I do is chop up some mixed nuts (not salted as some prat in the office done), throw in some seasme seeds, pumpkin seeds & sunflower seeds into a saucepan with the porridge oats of course and let the the nuts, oats, etc toast lightly on the heat. Once you get that nice smell from the saucepan and them all looking toasted (but not burnt) then you will need to add a little water to the pan first to take the heat out of it or if you put the milk straight in it will burn and stick to the saucepan. Then add the milk. Finish with a good dollop of honey. I'm hungry already thinking about tomorrows. Have to take it about an hour before I head out or I can taste the honey the whole way into work.

Sweetened cranberries are also a nice way to sweeten it too.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

so you effectively dry-roast the nuts and oats first on the bottom of the pan?
sounds good.

salted peanuts though - euuurggh!

When I'm making porridge though i take the lazy option.

jamesstout

i like porridge with cocoa powder in it its really nice when you drizzle some peanut butter into it - like a snickers!

Noodley

Fab Foodie said:
Have worked as a Food Scientist for nearly 25 years now:blush::biggrin:
Topical and never a dull moment!

Surely not, you must have started when you were but a slip of a lad :blush::smile:

Honey is (to coin a Bonjism) "THE bitch" (I think that means "It's very good" :smile: in some kind of weird way). I take honey with me on rides instead of "energy gels" (I bought a small bottle thingy from Edinburgh Bike Co-op and fill it from a squeezy honey bottle). Porridge, honey and dried fruit (cranberries, cherries, sultanas, blueberries) is THE best pre-ride breakfast - keeps me going until I get a bacon roll :biggrin: And honey, banana and peanut butter sandwiches are lovely. Mmmmmmm :ohmy:

Top Bottom