How Often Do You Change Your Bike?

How Often Do You Change Your Bike?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have no plans to replace my bike. It's a very good bike. I replace bits as and when they wear out. I have no plans to get another one. I only have one arse, as they say.

I also own a Brompton, for its folding superpowers, and have one other bike that just takes up space as I never ride it. I may get rid of it some time.

Reactions: DSK
I don`t. 2 reasons why, firstly the drop in value is shocking (it`s worse than brand new cars), and I also get a bit attached to them as they all have stories to tell. I`ve kept my LEJOG bike for many years even though I don`t use it any more, as an example.

I`m running out of room now though.............

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Always one in one out for me, usually each year.
Mostly down to seeing something shiny I like, which happened recently when I bought my current bike, the Cannondale Treadwell 2.

Reactions: DSK

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
There is an option missing! When no longer serviceable.
I have a 1994 MTB owned from new. Upgraded components along the way but will continue to use until (if) the frame fails.
I had a 2010 hybrid for commuting and general leisure use, owned from new until 2018 when the frame failed. Now replaced with a new bike.
Bought a carbon road bike in late 2016. Bike was trashed in 2018 as a result of an RTA and has since been replaced with a later version of the same bike.
Point I am trying to make is that no bike gets replaced until it is dead!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I buy a new bike when my age has a 0 or 5 at the end or to mark a significant event. As I bought a beautiful Cervelo when I retired, 63, I skipped this year's 65th birthday.

My LBS are starting to push me towards a new winter bike next year. The only reason I can find is disc brakes.

Now I'm retired buying a new bike will be harder to justify financially. The next one is probably two years away if my body can justify it at 68! An ebike will arrive in my 70s.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have sold one bike in 15 years. I have 8 other bikes. 3 in the shed, 3 in the loft and 2 in a trailer. All very nice bikes in top condition. I really should sell a few. I don't change bikes, I just buy another one.

Brompton 9 Streets
Trek Lexa SL
Koga Solicio, carbon di2
Koga World Traveller
Genesis Croix de Fer 20
Kickbike
Specialized Roubaix
Giant Fathon mtb

Ive never written them down before 😁 Its an impressive list of decent bikes 😁👍

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I don`t...…. the drop in value is shocking (it`s worse than brand new cars)

I don't buy new either, firstly because secondhand is much better VFM, and subsequent depreciation non-existent. The other reason is I only like steel, preferably lugged - which can no longer easily be bought off the peg from your LBS.

There is an option missing! When no longer serviceable......….Point I am trying to make is that no bike gets replaced until it is dead!

I agree, once you've bought one you might as well get your money's worth out of it. i don't care about fashion or so-called improvements, so I will keep riding all my bikes so long as the frames hold together and the mechanicals work. I've had a steel Raleigh frame fail this year (it was already well used/abused before I acquired it), and since I haven't got around to welding it yet, I've just transferred the mechanicals to a spare cheap donor frame of exactly the same type and am using that instead.

Top Bottom