How Often Do You Change Your Bike?

How Often Do You Change Your Bike?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Same here. I actually lost count. Thought I had 7 but it’s 8......oops :laugh:
Better stop before you have one over the eight

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I don't change bikes till the one that serves that purpose is no longer serviceable. Plus I don't buy new bikes, I get a frame and build from there. I have a road bike with clearance up to 35mm, a Brompton, and a recumbent. I did have a mtn bike but frame died and I have not done much riding justifying mtn bike of late. The road bike with wider tyres can do a lot of the non technical off road.

Reactions: DSK

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't usually change them unless I really don't get on with them, such as my Spesh Carve 29er. Usually I just add to the fleet instead, with 9 dotted about the place and 10 on the horizon :laugh:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I don't replace bikes either, I just add on to them: 3 so far and they are all being used according to weather condition/ terrain/ mood. I could buy another one and my wife wouldn't notice as she never goes in my shed so she has no idea what is in it. Great. ^_^

Another one here who doesn't understand the term change a bike.

11 and counting, built up over the decades, with two additions this year, both c30 year old Italian Steel framed roadbikes, one bought, one given to me. My most used bikes are the two I commute on, one is 35 year old Peugeot roadbike (Summer) and one a relatively new (6 year old) Fixed (Winter).

However, I did, for the first time in my adult life (and I'm 55) gift a bike this year ........... to a mate's young son who has been through a very rough last four years with the break up of his parents, with Dad getting custody. He is a keen skateboarder and surfer (9 years old but very tall, more like your average 13 year old) and loves his MTB. I reckon with saddle and handlebar right down, give him two years and he'll be out riding with his Dad and me. Here's to the next generation of us cycling nuts!

Slick

Guru
I don't change but I have given away a couple of good bikes and there are a couple of spare wall hooks should a bargain present itself. I almost bought another that was highlighted on the much hated found a bargain thread, but in the end decided against it as it would have looked like the old guy in the sports car thing having a midlife crisis but that said I'm sure it's only a matter of time. I do have 2 mountain bikes that I just don't use and a lovely little road bike with a cut down seat post and a seat with more padding on it than the couch I'm sitting on that Mrs Slick used to try and get into cycling, but since she invested in the ebike she won't look at it so I really need to find a good home for all 3 soon.

Reactions: DSK
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

When I was a wee lad my dad used to work at the Raleigh factory in Nottingham. That bike of yours brings back memories of me on my Raleigh BMX looking up and watching adults fly past on those racers.

Last edited:

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
Another one here who doesn't understand the term change a bike.

11 and counting, built up over the decades, with two additions this year, both c30 year old Italian Steel framed roadbikes, one bought, one given to me. My most used bikes are the two I commute on, one is 35 year old Peugeot roadbike (Summer) and one a relatively new (6 year old) Fixed (Winter).

However, I did, for the first time in my adult life (and I'm 55) gift a bike this year ........... to a mate's young son who has been through a very rough last four years with the break up of his parents, with Dad getting custody. He is a keen skateboarder and surfer (9 years old but very tall, more like your average 13 year old) and loves his MTB. I reckon with saddle and handlebar right down, give him two years and he'll be out riding with his Dad and me. Here's to the next generation of us cycling nuts!
For some, it is a space/financial decision.
For example, I recently changed my hybrid bike but I have no room to keep two bikes in the small shed I have, so I sold one on Ebay and shipped it for £26 with Paisley Freight to some happy chappy in Aberdeen.
He will get a well looked after, fairly new bike (One year old) and I will get £200 off the new Cannondale I lusted after.
Horses for courses.

For some, it is a space/financial decision.
For example, I recently changed my hybrid bike but I have no room to keep two bikes in the small shed I have, so I sold one on Ebay and shipped it for £26 with Paisley Freight to some happy chappy in Aberdeen.
He will get a well looked after, fairly new bike (One year old) and I will get £200 off the new Cannondale I lusted after.
Horses for courses.
Absolutely. Luckily, this horse has enough room for his stable, as you say, horses for courses (and I would re-iterate the bikes have been built up over nearly four decades!) :okay:

Last edited:

figbat

Slippery scientist
This thread made me think. It turns out I have never changed my bike, just added N+1 meaning I still own every bike I have bought in the last 15 years or so (since I started actually riding rather than just owning a bike). The total at the moment is 5 and I add a new one when the whim aligns with a used opportunity when browsing eBay or Facebook marketplace or similar.

Top Bottom