How often do you change your cable outers [road bikes]?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
The old, oil in the plastic bag trick. Still a good idea?

1.) Cut a hole in the corner of a small plastic bag and push the cable through the hole. Secure the bag to the outer cable with a rubber band and then invert the bag.

2.) Add some oil into the plastic bag and hold the bag/cable vertically, so that the oil flows into the cable. Work the inner cable up and down or leave overnight until oil comes out of the lower end of the cable.

It's probably easier just to buy a new cable.

MarkF

Guru
I have yet to change a set of cables on any of my bikes. Some have 2000 miles on, some 4500 miles. They still shift perfectly well. I have yet to clean then or do any other maintenance. If it ain't broke....

2007 Dawes Discovery here, I'd guess at 10k miles very conservatively, still on the original cables, cogs and chain, I've never touched a gear cable, only the brakes, still changes gear without issue. I always clean, oil & protect the bike regularly.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have just moved the levers and brake cables from an old bike to my singlespeed project. I think those are the original cables. I bought the groupset in 1999 and it has had a lot of use!

The cables still work acceptably but I can feel some increased friction. I'll change them next time I change the bar tape.

Hi there,

question as above.
So far, I've only ever had the cable themselves (inners) changed on my 105 equipped road bike.

This improves shifting but invariably over time it deteriorates again.
I understand that some of the cable outers are coated with a special lubricant.

Would I be better off changing the outers as well, even though there is no sign of external damage?
If so, how often should I change them? Every time the inner cables are changed?

I'm a bit reluctant to change them frequently, given rewrapping bar tape, hassle etc, so welcome any views.

Thanks
I usually squirt some GT in every 5 years does the job

D

Deleted member 1258

I only change cables if I've got a problem and need to change them.

tyred

Legendary Member
I suspect the cables on my 1983 3 speed are original and it sees regular use in all weathers. They're fine, no rust,, they get an occasional driible of oil.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I never change cable outers except for the short length that curves round to the rear derailleur, which I change often to maintain shifting performance.

Top Bottom