How often do you change your chain???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Will do... thanks Norm :thumbsup:

Norm

:becool:

Or get a chain guage. The Park one was mentioned earlier, I picked up one of those a few weeks ago which is how I know that my MTB chain is goosed. Very goosed. :blush:

As it says above, and on the other current thread about needing to replace chain and sprockets together, I'll be needing new sprockets when I replace the chain on the MTB... lesson learned. :sad:

dubman

Guru
I change my chain every 6 months , whether the bike has done a few hundred miles or a few thousand. The cost of 2 chains a year is minimal :biggrin:

Orange

I change my chain every 6 months , whether the bike has done a few hundred miles or a few thousand. The cost of 2 chains a year is minimal :biggrin:
I'm learning a lot here. Had 4 bikes in 40 years and never considered changing a chain. :blush: The first 2 lasted about 4 years each and were used most days but for fairly short distances. The 3rd I had for over 20 years but was used irregularly. My current ride is 6 years old but I've only started doing semi-serious distances since this summer. Looks like I better get used to regular checking -or at least booking it in for a service every now and then.

Russell Allen

Get a park tools chain guage,

like this

Check the chain every few weeks, keep the chain regularly clean and well lubed they will last a very long time.

The 9 sp chain on my dawes galaxy has done 5000 miles and is still well under 0.5% stretched, the chain on my Bianchi 10sp has done 2000 mainly dry miles but very hard miles and is also still under 0.5%. Both these bikes have the chains cleaned and relubed on a semi religeous basis.

The chain on my MTB lasts less than 1000 miles due to the amount of grit and dirt it collects off road

Russell

asterix

Comrade Member
Still have the same chain on my Roberts I put on in late 2003.

On it I have done numerous rides including many audaxes and :

Moors 'Illy Imperial twice
Ron Kitchen Ride
Phil and Friends twice
Raid Pyrenean (last year)

It still functions perfectly and I've no idea what a chain wear gauge would show as I decide to let everything wear out and replace the lot (if it broke I could fix it on the road).

The chain and components are Campag 9 speed.

Top Bottom