How often do you fill your car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I used to drive to work and did a daily 45 mile round trip commute in my 1.6 Astra. A tank of fuel (£55) used to last just a week when other mileage was added. As I now work closer and commute by bike most days.... I have just managed to go between monthly pay days filling the tank just once at the beginning of the month and I still have quarter of a tank left.

To the C.C's with a car is this a similiar amount of petrol used (average petrol type car - not massive Beemer etc or 1.0 ltr diesel that does a squillion miles to the gallon) or do I have to work even harder to get that fuel bill down?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I tend to only use the car at weekends these days, and maybe a quick run round in the week. Weekends we head to North Wales, so that's about £30 a week - about 150 miles. If we aren't away then maybe £10 a week.

Filling the tank would cost about £80 I think - never bother topping up these days, just shove in about £30-£35. Also saves lugging the weight about of an extra 30-40 litres of fuel

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
Since I can get £100+ worth of fuel into my tank I have never filled it, however about £80 a month gets used, but that's between me and the OH sharing the car as well as still drive commuting more often than not.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Mrs Viking doesn't drive so car sits still when I commute by bike... If I could get her to do all the shopping in one go then I reckon I could use even less fuel, although I do nip on the bike for small bits of shopping

GrasB

Veteran
My other half puts in £20/week, which is more than is used. When the fuel gauge wanders above the 3/4 line she'll drive it until it's about 1/3 full & start again. Her idea is that we never have less than 200 miles + a bit of reserve of motorway driving in the tank but we also don't haul around huge amounts of fuel for no reason.

OP
OP
simon the viking
My other half puts in £20/week, which is more than is used. When the fuel gauge wanders above the 3/4 line she'll drive it until it's about 1/3 full & start again. Her idea is that we never have less than 200 miles + a bit of reserve of motorway driving in the tank but we also don't haul around huge amounts of fuel for no reason.
The motoring organisations and Martin Lewis say you shouldn't fill your tank (as you say), but I like to fill up so I know I've got enough for the month and treat fuel as any other monthly bill and get it out of the way at the beginning , but I would probably save a little fuel doing as you say

green1

Über Member
The motoring organisations and Martin Lewis say you shouldn't fill your tank (as you say), but I like to fill up so I know I've got enough for the month and treat fuel as any other monthly bill and get it out of the way at the beginning , but I would probably save a little fuel doing as you say
They wouldn't say that if they got ~230 miles to a tank.

When I ran my own private car I always ran it full to empty. It was a bout £80 to fill it at that time and I'd probably have to fill it every couple of weeks.

Now I run company cars I put £20 a week at current prices, (used to be £10 :sad:) , but I'll never put more in as the car I'm driving today could very easily be sold to someone tomorrow!

That's the joys of the motor trade for you, musical cars.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
I put about £40 a week in my car and get 190 mpg. Its a 1.6 Focus auto that is shoot on fuel. I have toyed with the idea of getting a small car and saving cash on fuel. It is the initial purchase price that puts me off. Then again I have also thought about getting an EP3 Civic Type R, it would be much more fun than the Focus with similar running costs. Hate getting fleeced with running costs for such an average car.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk 2

Top Bottom