How often do you fill your car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have never bought fuel for any vehicle. The nearest I have come is food and drink for me when out on my bike or walking! :thumbsup:

tadpole

Before I cycled regularly, it would cost £60 to fill the tank on my 307 diesel. it would last about two weeks, to fill up now would cost £92. But by cycling to work, my fuel cost has gone down from £120 per month to £25 per month (my wife now drives the car)

I tend to only use the car at weekends these days, and maybe a quick run round in the week. Weekends we head to North Wales, so that's about £30 a week - about 150 miles.
Filling the tank would cost about £80 I think - never bother topping up these days, just shove in about £30-£35
+1 on this. Dread to think what it would be if I drove to work too!

Linford

The places I frequently travel to (Wales, Norwich, Scotland) are quicker by train, and I can have a beer if I want!

You can afford to go by train to scotland....to be minted enough to do that out of taxed income would be something.

Using public transport is an expensive luxury nowadays. It is a lot quicker and cheaper to fly there nowadays on Easyjet/Ryanair etc....and I see plenty of people taking their cycles on them.

screenman

Legendary Member
£60 per week mine and £40 the wife's. The joys of living rural and working mobile. Mine does 50mpg her's 36 mpg.

I actually had to put fuel in the 'family' car the other day for the first time since we purchased it back on 1st September last year after 18 months without a car. It has taken 7 months for me to actually find out what it costs to fill it! :eek: £85. glad it covers nearly 600 (winter) miles to a tank full, roughly 40mpg when temps are below zero. better above zero and +50mpg when temps were warmer back in September...

Usually it gets filled once a month to 5 weeks. It sits on the driveway if my OH cycles to work, or sits at his work place when he is away from home. It seems to get most use visiting parents and doing the weekly shop (both sets of parents are 'getting on in years' and I have a 90 year old Grandfather as well and sometimes errands can't be run on a bike, despite my trying).

gbb

Legendary Member
It's a 1.6 Astra.
2010 1.6 Astra SRI here and I get circa 47 mpg commuting 42 miles a day. Mostly single carriageway 50 mph limit, not much town driving at all. Come the summer, I expect that to go to around 50mpg.

I'm in no rush, I start early, not much traffic, accelerate smoothly, decelerate early, hardly ever use the brakes, usually driving at 50 to 60 mph. I do drive by the computer, if 50 mph is using too much, I'll either accelerate to find a speed that's more economical, or slow slightly. I can be doing say 52 mph and achieving 40 mpg, slow to around 49 mph and the consumption drops to a lovely 55 mpg ( just rough figures, but you get the gist)

Don't accelerate on hills, DO make use of downhill sections to build speed, my cruising speed can vary, but I'm constantly finding the most economical speed as I go.

You can probably deduce I've overanalysed all this, it's become a way of life. But I'm not that much slower than many drivers...I just get there in my own time...and a lot cheaper than the guy who overtook me at 75 mph...to save 10 minutes on a journey.

I do circa 250 miles a week, sometimes more. Breaks my heart when I think 2 years ago I commuted almost exclusively by bike.

Reactions: Maz

AndyRM

XOXO
You can afford to go by train to scotland....to be minted enough to do that out of taxed income would be something.

Using public transport is an expensive luxury nowadays. It is a lot quicker and cheaper to fly there nowadays on Easyjet/Ryanair etc....and I see plenty of people taking their cycles on them.

I'm by no means 'minted' but I could get a train ticket from Newcastle to Edinburgh for £20 tomorrow if I wanted. If I had bought in advance it would have set me back around a tenner. The myth of expensive train travel is one perpetuated by the media which takes South West Trains as a template.

gbb

Legendary Member
While consumption figures have come into it...cycling isnt so economical :whistle:
50 to 60 mile ride say. I'll go out, do maybe 15, 20 miles then stop at a cafe, have a breakfast and a cuppa. Off again, then maybe stop in a pub for a pint, maybe stop at the shops for a mars bar and a bottle of lucozade.
In the end, it'd have been just as cheap (but nowehere near as fun) to drive the same distance.
Fuel in the car or fuel in you...it amounts to the same.

Top Bottom