How often do you fill your car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
This time 2 years ago I was doing a 25 miles each way commute to work, costing me about £50 per week. Whilst at work, I was driving about 300 miles per day, getting about 7 mpg. If I got it with an empty tank, it would cost about £400 to fill. Then again, it was one of these:
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGcxuMqrqWc627nT3QYm3-Abp7FGss76C7q25I0Jlo9kjnwtXq.jpg

Now I have a local job and walk the 200 yards every day (well, 3 days per week). The work is crap though, and I would jump at the chance to go back on the trucks again.

400bhp

Guru
hoping once every 3 months.

So about £400 per year.

green1

Über Member
The myth of expensive train travel is one perpetuated by the media which takes South West Trains as a template.
Its not a myth, I was looking at trains to go to Glasgow (from Aberdeen) a few weeks ago, 60 quid each return. Llandudno last summer? £200 each.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Its not a myth, I was looking at trains to go to Glasgow (from Aberdeen) a few weeks ago, 60 quid each return. Llandudno last summer? £200 each.

+1. Largs to Portsmouth return last year about £130. This year £160. I won't be using their precious trains, it works out cheaper to drive, even solo.

2383950 said:
Having just found this thread, I have to say that I am massively disappointed. I was expecting it to he about the proportion of diving people do using all the seats as opposed to cluttering the roads up needlessly.
drown 'em eh

2383985 said:
Got it thanks.
I knew you would

And may I just take this opportunity to say I couldn't give two figs how often you lot fill your car up. At least my inane threads say they're inane and you don't stumble blindly into them :smile:

And you need a poll

Black Country Ste

When I lived at home I could put in a full tank: 40 litres for about £35 back then and because I was only using it for going to work, about 300-350 miles, that lasted the month. After leaving home my commute extended to 100 miles a week plus everyday stuff, so 500-600 miles, I was spending £75 a month on a tank and a half.

After moving to my current home the two-mile car commute was replaced by running, then the bike. I'm probably not even doing 100 miles a month so can get away with £20-£30's worth of petrol. I'm hardly using the car since getting a bike but as I found when the battery died the other week, I feel like I'm missing limbs without it.

D

Deleted member 1258

My old KA tends to only get used at the weekends most weeks, I put about £10-£15 of fuel in it a week, keep the tank between a quarter and half full unless I have distance to drive, I recon it it does about 40 mpg.

D

Deleted member 1258

[QUOTE 2384105, member: 45"]£1.35 in 1989. I could fill my mini for less than a fiver.[/quote]

I started with a motorbike and petrol was seven and six a gallon, about 32p in modern money I think.

MarkF

Guru
I think my Jeep averages about 15mpg, if I put my foot down, then the computer shows 0 mpg. I mostly have the computer switched to keep me from getting upset. I put in £20 every week or so, that time coincides with when I think I am about to run out of fuel completely. The low fuel light & beeper are permanently on.

gbb

Legendary Member
2383950 said:
Having just found this thread, I have to say that I am massively disappointed. I was expecting it to he about the proportion of drving people do using all the seats as opposed to cluttering the roads up needlessly.
I think many more people would...if it were possible in an everyday setting. I know i would were it oossible. Loads of people at my work do, but they all start and finish together. Me, and others like me at work, start and finish at different times, it's impossible to organise. I guess my situation isn't so different than many others in the general public.
The sentiments spot on though.

Top Bottom