How often do you fill your car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

green1

Über Member
I put about £40 a week in my car and get 190 mpg.
So that's ~1235 miles from 40 quid. Impressive. :whistle:

sddg7tfl

When it comes to driving and fuel efficiency all you need do is think the brake pedal opens a little hole in
the bottom of the tank.
Every time you brake you convert forward motion into lots of heat in the brakes.
So aim to brake less.

My car: £140 to fill the tank, 6.5mpg if i go like a loony, 24mpg with my normal driving, 32mpg on a steady
motorway run.

GrasB

Veteran
The motoring organisations and Martin Lewis say you shouldn't fill your tank (as you say), but I like to fill up so I know I've got enough for the month and treat fuel as any other monthly bill and get it out of the way at the beginning , but I would probably save a little fuel doing as you say
Due to the economy of the car it seems silly to haul 70l of diesel around, I mean it has a ~800mile range before the low fuel light (then another 50-75 miles). However, there's very little point in not filling the tank up if we're going a long way.

I have to other cars but their fuel usage is just out there due to the fact they're competition/track cars. Both of them may have their tanks drained manually due to 'race day' fuel etc.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I'm putting in about £70 a fortnight. My W reg. diesel Freelander does 38 mpg (average). Better than every other car I've ever had, including a 1.3 Fiesta.
On a drive to Cornwall a few years ago I got 52 mpg, towing a trailer, by keeping to the 60 mph, with trailer, speed limit.

byegad

Legendary Member
Not often, and I only ever let the tank get down to half full if I can help it. So at 40 mpg and 3500 miles driven last year, that's less than once a month from half to full. Last year was a bad one for my cycling, knee issues, lousy weather and other health problems kept me off riding for a fair chunk of the year so I probably only covered 2000 miles on the trikes. My normal yearly mileage is more like 3500 so hopefully this year I'll beat my four wheel powered mileage on three wheels, under my own steam.

IF THE WINTER EVER ENDS! Argh!!!!

Top Bottom