How often do you push beyond 90% of max Heart Rate?

How often do you push beyond 90% of max HR?

• Never

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • Once a month

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Once a week

Votes: 7 12.5%
  • Twice a week

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • Three times a week

Votes: 9 16.1%
  • No idea, don’t measure HR during exercise or don’t know max

Votes: 13 23.2%
  • Every ride

Votes: 14 25.0%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Every ride?

No not every ride, but if I ride 4 days a week, 3 of those rides I might hit certain mini hills hard and crest near gasping in effort. Most of the ride will be mostly Z2/3

I haven't used a HR monitor for a while, but are experienced enough to know my exertion levels.

OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No not every ride, but if I ride 4 days a week, 3 of those rides I might hit certain mini hills hard and crest near gasping in effort. Most of the ride will be mostly Z2/3

I haven't used a HR monitor for a while, but are experienced enough to know my exertion levels.

RPE is pretty accurate once you are attuned and also know how long you were working at that level of effort.

BurningLegs

Veteran
My “routine” is one race, one sweet spot session, and one lighter/longer ride per week

So I’ve put once per week, but if I’m progressing on the sweet spot intervals then by the end of a newly extended or increased power interval I can get there in a sweet spot session too.

What makes you ask the question? Are you concerned about something?

I have family members who discourage me from racing because they believe my heart rate during those sessions is dangerous! They have no medical training (neither do I to be fair), but are shocked at the numbers (my max HR is 201 and I will always get over 195 in a race and usually over 190 for 20mins). They genuinely believe it could be dangerous. I disagree and I suppose time will tell who’s right on that one 🙂

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My “routine” is one race, one sweet spot session, and one lighter/longer ride per week

So I’ve put once per week, but if I’m progressing on the sweet spot intervals then by the end of a newly extended or increased power interval I can get there in a sweet spot session too.

What makes you ask the question?

Curiosity.

I’m curious as to others approach to their riding where they record HR. Partly extends to conversations I had recently with friends and family. My brother and some friends avoid intensity like the plague. Thinking it’s bad for you, more likely to lead to a heart event. Some friends embrace high intensity thinking best thing since sliced bread and are nearly always doing shorter but higher intensity efforts. Avoid easier efforts. Some are like me, mostly easier but longer efforts with shorter really high intensity thrown in once a week or so most of the time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ming the Merciless

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Maybe it's like running a engine. It needs a good rev now and then. To keep reliable operation, a good steady run, often

I think the revving as you call it is good for seeing that the engine is running optimally. Angina and other conditions affecting the plumbing of heart are likely highlighted at higher intensities. But don’t go revving it all the time.

D

Deleted member 1258

I think the revving as you call it is good for seeing that the engine is running optimally. Angina and other conditions affecting the plumbing of heart are likely highlighted at higher intensities. But don’t go revving it all the time.

When I had my close encounter with angina in 2008 it would kick in around 70 - 80 percent heart rate, whilst I was waiting to be stented I kept riding but at a low intensity.

presta

Guru
Cardiology took my HR up to 104% during a Bruce test in April 2009, and within 15 weeks I'd developed atrial fibrillation. As I didn't recognise it for what it was, and with my confidence buoyed up by a clear test, I increased my training intensity, so my AF got worse. When my health deteriorated enough to find myself back on the treadmill again in April 2012 I got another trip to 102%, and another clear test, but a few weeks later I found myself in an ambulance on my way to an AF diagnosis.

AF is quite good, I can reach 157% of MHR with no more effort than it takes to sit in the armchair.

CXRAndy

Guru
Why were you seeing the cardiologist in the first place?

Were you having symptoms or have family history of heart problems?

I doubt the stress test was the sole cause of your AF.

I too have suffered AF, fortunately mine has been lone AF. Ive done several years of Zwift racing and TTs after my episode with no noticeable effect

avsd

Guru
Depends on the ride. Yesterday on a Sunday morning sole ride I got this from Strava
1630338870250.png

On an indoor training session with 10x1 minute (RPE 9) 1 minute rest and a few longer intervals RPE 8 sessions I got this

1630339044161.png

I still learning how to structure my training better with the help of a coach. I am a big believer in interval training but need to work on my mobilty and upper body conditioning as well. My resting HR is around 48 and max is 163.

Nebulous

Guru
I've traditionally done most of my riding as fast as I can muster on the day. My comfort zone was about 30 miles flat out. Preparing for PBP and using zwift I had to learn to pace myself and do some stuff at a lower intensity, which didn't come readily, but definitely helped my fitness. I've had a messy year, leaving work, moving home, dealing with other stuff, and my mileage and fitness has suffered.

Trying to build it back up, I'm back to pushing hard. This was yesterday. Getting there slowly, still a bit off where I would like to be. Maximum heart rate is based on 172, though I haven't seen over 170 this year.

I'll probably push beyond 90% of 198bpm (45.75 year old FWIW) at least two or three times a week and sometimes 4 times. Every open TT I'll go well beyond 90% and on intervals sessions or club TTs beyond it too, and depending on the intensity of group rides I can go beyond 90% too.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
My ride on Sunday which was very tough - riding as hard as possible, saw my average for the whole ride ( 1 hour) over 90% of MHR - I’ve never considered that it may be doing me harm … I love the feeling of really pushing myself hard …

Alex321

Veteran
I have never done a full test to be absolutely sure of my max HR, but I'm pretty sure it is around 180 from what I have done (I am 62). 90% of that is 162, and it is a very rare ride I don't hit 162+ at some point on the hills. The highest genuine reading I have had out on the road was 179 once (I have had some higher readings when the sensor was playing up as the battery was dying).

I do seem to have been going over 170 less often as I get better at hills, but it is still almost always in the high 160s on one or more hills.

Top Bottom