How often do you wash your bike in the winter honestly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris-suffolk

Clean yes, rag and toothbrush - wash no.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Plus; by definition - "looking' over the bike while you clean helps you notice changes, maintenance that's needs doing, wear and tear etc.

That is definitely true. That's how I spotted this... (cracked square taper crank)

cracked-crank.jpg

The owner of this bike clearly had not done enough cleaning so his bike rotted, and he did not spot it in time...

dead_forks_large.jpg

He was very lucky that it failed on a flat road a couple of km after a very fast descent! His front mudguard had started rubbing against his tyre so he dismounted to investigate and discovered to his horror that his fork was snapping off!

Jameshow

Veteran
I wash after a mucky ride.

Usually using a 2l milk bottle with hole stabbed in lid, filled with hot water and a dash of fairy. Spray it over the bike repeat with clean water if needed.

Spray metal parts with wd40, then lube before next ride!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I wash after a mucky ride.

Usually using a 2l milk bottle with hole stabbed in lid, filled with hot water and a dash of fairy. Spray it over the bike repeat with clean water if needed.
I'm lucky to have a large back yard with a hosepipe permanently attached to an external tap out there. When I do decide to clean the bike it only takes me a couple of minutes to get most of the gunk off.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I'm not sure that I've ever washed a bike in winter.. both for the reasons given in the OP and the fact that I'm pretty much a fair weather cyclist.

The road bike never goes out in the winter (or at all tbh) and the Genesis ideally not in the wet. The Fuji has seen a few wet & muddy forays this winter, and tbh so far has held up very well - certainly to the point where I don't feel that it needs washing. The drivetrain is sparkly-clean thanks to the waxed chain, while the Longboards have done a great job of keeping the frame / other bits clean; with splatter largely confined to the forks, a bit on the chainstays / seatstays, rack and the inside faces of the pannier bags.

While it'll doubtless need a wash at some point, so far it seems to be fending off the rigors of winter very well :smile:

geocycle

Legendary Member
The Spa Ti bike just gets a wipe down and attention to the drive chain every couple of rides. The Thorn is the daily workhorse with its hub gears and goes longer between cleaning. I just keep an eye on lubrication and mud clogging the guards. It will have to dry up before it’s worth having a major clean. Don’t we just love winter!

tyred

Legendary Member
When I come back from a ride, I put the bike inside, then let all the dirt, mud, etc. dry out. Then I bump it against the floor a few times and use a a hand brush to get rid of everything that didn't fall off and clean the floor. Done.

I knew a builder who cleaned his wheelbarrow like that - leave it overnight for the cement to harden and then turn it upside in the morning and hit it with a sledge and all the cement fell out.

Top Bottom