How often do you wash your bike in the winter honestly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Imaginos

Not often enough…and all three are very dirty. The last time I washed one(i only had one then)it was only because the rear derailler wouldn’t move anymore. I’ve been threatening to wash them all for weeks.Reading this thread has inspired me,maybe tomorrow will be the day.

Bikes frames and components are now more amenable to easy maintenance especially the non-engineering side. No wipe down unless it rained or the route is especially dusty. A look at RD would be indicative. So cleaning few months and a deep clean once a year. Lubing every few weeks.

Bikes frames and components are now more amenable to easy maintenance especially the non-engineering side. No wipe down unless it rained or the route is especially dusty. A look at RD would be indicative. So cleaning few months and a deep clean once a year. Lubing every few weeks.

RD?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Almost never. 20 mile round trip commuting every day means either spend more time cleaning than riding, or leave mucky.

Will replace chain cassette and clean at vernal equinox.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Not often enough…and all three are very dirty. The last time I washed one(i only had one then)it was only because the rear derailler wouldn’t move anymore. I’ve been threatening to wash them all for weeks.Reading this thread has inspired me,maybe tomorrow will be the day.

Blimey. My mate wrote off a Deore XT front mech on his MTB as he only ever commuted on the bike, so big ring only. All the pivots rusted solid.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Almost never. 20 mile round trip commuting every day means either spend more time cleaning than riding, or leave mucky.

Will replace chain cassette and clean at vernal equinox.

Takes 10 minutes ! 20 mile round commute here too !

My route is pretty dirty, even taking the surfaced route. This time of year it's mud and leaf mulch. Taking the canal route is mucky other than in summer. I just build it into my routine. Arrive home, if it's been wet, I'll wipe the chain and re-oil if needed. Pop in, shower, then pop out and wash the bike off. I've a number of muc-off wash brushes (bought as a present) and their sofe one is really good at cleaning everything, and it's super quick. To get the hub clean, I just use a twin head brush and very quickly run it past the hub and then again at another angle. Takes no more than 10 minutes.

As for drying, it drips dry in the garage.

I suppose it depends on where you ride
If you ride on decent tarmac roads then the bike will get wet and the rain/puddles will wash it clean

If you ride on some tracks with leaves/mud/clay surfaces then there will be a lot more grit and gunk and general rubbish that sticks to things that should not be there
Gear changes full of mud and grit are never going to work properly!!

I generally find that my gear changes get dodgy from time to time and a good clean fixes it
If I keep it clean with a quick black from the hosepipe every now and then - then it prevents the problems happening so often

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
After a wet ride I'll wipe it down and relube. A wash every week with degreaser (but I keep this off the drive train). I use an air compressor which is great for getting crud out from inaccessible places, but I appreciate not many have access to a compressor. I see it as part of my maintenance regime.

Being somewhat fussy I dislike even having too much road splatter on the bike so they generally get cleaned every week or two at worst. I ride every day but mostly on tarmac; I'm fortunate that I can avoid gravel routes in winter with a small detour.

BurningLegs

Veteran
Washing / Cleaning ? Likely more than anyone else on here. Like even when it doesn't need it. I'm a huge car Detailing fan; and the King of Clean.
That's mostly the reason behind the moniker underneath my username picture......

The other possible / useable terms or words to describe my cleaning ethics could be: compulsive, obsessive and unnecessary.

You decide.......

Have you been tempted to do a thread with details of your routine? I’d be keen to see it 🙂

Top Bottom