How often do you wash your bike in the winter honestly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Legendary Member
After several off road muddy rides, yesterday I had to do a "stick" clean. This entails stopping the bike, finding a stick, then using said stick to remove clumps of mud. When I got home, a rinse down to remove as much mud as possible. No further washing and certainly no soap involved. I should have, but did not.

Ps. I wonder if the chain is rusty by now but I think not as there is probably a thin layer of dirt that is protecting the chain. 😁

Edit: fixed typos

Last edited:

geocycle

Legendary Member
I very rarely use anything other than a damp jay cloth and wash up sponge. If I’ve been off-road in wet weather then I have occasionally used a garden hose or a bucket from the rainwater butt. I do have some muck off washing stuff but don’t find it really helps much. Chain and drive chain on Sunday bike gets Mickeled every ride and degreased once a month, the hub gear bike goes much longer. It’s probably not enough but seems to do no harm!

freiston

Veteran
I very rarely use anything other than a damp jay cloth and wash up sponge.
If I ever wipe my bike down, no matter if it's had a full-blown hosepipe wash or nothing beforehand, I always wipe it down with a cloth/rag generously dowsed in GT85 (or WD40). It is my theory that the thin film left on the frame and components will help keep the bike clean - especially with the GT85 having Teflon in it. Many years (decades) ago, when I was an industrial cleaner, cleaning machines in a car engine factory, I used a product that left a thin film behind specifically for the purpose of dissuading muck from sticking and making it easier to clean next time. I can't remember the name of it but it was made by Henkel.

Jameshow

Veteran
If I ever wipe my bike down, no matter if it's had a full-blown hosepipe wash or nothing beforehand, I always wipe it down with a cloth/rag generously dowsed in GT85 (or WD40). It is my theory that the thin film left on the frame and components will help keep the bike clean - especially with the GT85 having Teflon in it. Many years (decades) ago, when I was an industrial cleaner, cleaning machines in a car engine factory, I used a product that left a thin film behind specifically for the purpose of dissuading muck from sticking and making it easier to clean next time. I can't remember the name of it but it was made by Henkel.

I do too.

Gt85 disperses the water after a wash, prevents the metal components from rusting and stops muck from sticking on the next ride!

A quick relube and I'm off again.

presta

Guru
That is definitely true. That's how I spotted this... (cracked square taper crank)

View attachment 674175

When I was up in the North York Mooors I noticed whilst honking that the rear wheel was flexing enough to chafe on the brake blocks, it seemed a bit odd but I didn't give it any more thought. When I got home a week later I was washing the bike and saw that there were fatigue fractures on all the spoke holes, and the spokes were going slack as the rim let go.

On my last tour I heard a loud crack that I thought I recognised as a spoke breaking, but having carefully checked I found nothing, and carried on. I found that one when I was washing the bike back at home too: a fatigue fracture through the middle of the weld on the leg of the rack.

Down in Devon I kept hearing a ticking whilst honking and thought it was a loose crank, so I stopped at a garage and asked them to tighten them. That didn't fix it, but I didn't find it cleaning the bike back at home either. It turned out to be the extension bracket my bottom bottle cage is mounted on, which made itself known when the bottle dropped off and went under the back wheel a while later.

I thought that was what WD40 was originally for; certainly we use it for cleaning bikes in the shop, with "cleaner" added afterwards to give extra shine.

Alex321

Veteran

Muc-Off make a similar product now. Probably a fair bit more expensive.
https://muc-off.com/collections/bicycle-protection/products/bike-protect-500ml

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
After several off road muddy rides, yesterday I had to do a "stick" clean. This entails stopping the bike, finding a stick, then using said stick to remove clumps of mud.

I have perfected the "kick the mudguard" while still moving technique which helps with bits and pieces

I carry a tool made out of coat hanger wire for clearing mudguard blockages. Saves searching for the perfect stick.

Kicking the mudguard while moving fails my mental risk assessment. I could imagine it having embarrassing consequences.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Clean my road bikes after every wet ride and the mtb after every ride. Started using 'No nonsense penetrating oil' from Screwfix this winter. It seems to keep the derailleurs etc really clean and leaves a nice protective film. Also at £4.99 for 750ml it's less than half the price of the brand names. The tin says it can be used on chains, haven't tried that yet.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-penetrating-lubricating-oil-750ml/19320

Alex321

Veteran
Clean my road bikes after every wet ride and the mtb after every ride. Started using 'No nonsense penetrating oil' from Screwfix this winter. It seems to keep the derailleurs etc really clean and leaves a nice protective film. Also at £4.99 for 750ml it's less than half the price of the brand names. The tin says it can be used on chains, haven't tried that yet.
https://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-penetrating-lubricating-oil-750ml/19320

Shows as £5.49 for me, and the basic WD40 is £6.99 for 600ml, so while a good deal cheaper, it is more than half the price (£7.32/l as opposed to £11.65/l ).

Still well worth getting instead.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Shows as £5.49 for me, and the basic WD40 is £6.99 for 600ml, so while a good deal cheaper, it is more than half the price (£7.32/l as opposed to £11.65/l ).

Still well worth getting instead

Hi, just checked my last invoice for this, I bought 3 cans so benefitted from the multi buy price £4.99 each. Screwfix seem to do this a lot with consumables.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Today I got a flat tyre not too far from home. Meh, bummer. Nevermind, I'll go for a walk instead (while pushing the bike).

Lost in my thoughts while walking, I wondered how many inner tubes I have left. Should.be enough I reckon. Hey, I might as well wash my bike since I have to take the wheel off anyway. Good idea!

I got home, thought sod that, phoned the bike shop and said I would.be over later on to get a new inner tube installed, support the LBS and also have a natter.

So, still no washy.

OP
OP
K

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I understand that some riders choose to wash their bikes after every ride, while others only do it periodically. It really comes down to personal preference and the conditions in which they ride. Some riders prefer to keep their bikes spotless, while others are okay with a little bit of dirt and grime.

Personally, I would recommend washing your bike periodically to help maintain its performance and extend its lifespan. This can be done with a bucket of water and a brush or rag, even without a hose pipe. Just make sure to use soap specifically designed for bikes to avoid damaging the frame and components.

Of course, the frequency of washing your bike also depends on the amount of use and how dirty it gets. If you ride in dry, clean conditions, you may not need to wash it after every ride. But if you ride through mud or dirty conditions, you may want to clean it more frequently.

Well yes thats obvious really, but thanks for the insight.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Many my mate who was out on a ride yesterday, he had to turn round because his rim had shattered! As a result of winter commuting on his ridgeback rapide!
Keeping bikes clean stops stuff like that happening!!!

Top Bottom