How often do you wash your bike in the winter honestly?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Have you been tempted to do a thread with details of your routine? I’d be keen to see it 🙂

Not so much to be honest. Hundreds of vids on YouTube or Detailing World - if you want to get into car detailing: for instance…..

I’m a personal car / bike detailer primarily. 3 day decontamination, Polish, Ceramic coating etc isn’t uncommon. I enjoy the improving things, the me-time and the fresh air. Not just the cleaning per-se….

But my ‘traits’ tend to then lead on to everything I touch. My bikes are all way-way better than new. And I don’t say that lightly or being big headed. I’m just super anal about the way things are done, the products I use, the way things are fitted and the way things look. I do it to impress no-one. It’s just who I am….

This was mine after one of my prolonged detailing sessions inside, out, underneath etc 🤦‍♂️

View: https://vimeo.com/576382108

Last edited:

freiston

Veteran
My bike got its first clean of the year last week. The one before that was about October, I reckon (though it will have had a couple of wipe-downs in the meantime) - iirc, I filled the wheel bearings with grease at the same time. I usually do this twice a year: at the onset of the "bad weather" season and at the end of the bad weather season.

The bike has full guards and a long front mudflap almost touching the ground. The lanes round here have been like a mud bath recently and the bike started to look like I had been riding cyclocross. The (rim) brakes were making some abrasive noises on the ride before the wash and the chain had (a couple of small) spots of rust on the outer links, so the drivetrain got a decent going over too. Brake cable inline adjusters dialled in and cables re-tensioned. When spring is truly here, the wheel bearings will probably get another greasing and the bike get its final clean before next winter (though it will probably get a few wipe-downs and a wash or two if it gets really mucky over the summer).

freiston

Veteran
My bike got its first clean of the year last week. The one before that was about October, I reckon (though it will have had a couple of wipe-downs in the meantime) - iirc, I filled the wheel bearings with grease at the same time. I usually do this twice a year: at the onset of the "bad weather" season and at the end of the bad weather season.

The bike has full guards and a long front mudflap almost touching the ground. The lanes round here have been like a mud bath recently and the bike started to look like I had been riding cyclocross. The (rim) brakes were making some abrasive noises on the ride before the wash and the chain had (a couple of small) spots of rust on the outer links, so the drivetrain got a decent going over too. Brake cable inline adjusters dialled in and cables re-tensioned. When spring is truly here, the wheel bearings will probably get another greasing and the bike get its final clean before next winter (though it will probably get a few wipe-downs and a wash or two if it gets really mucky over the summer).

When I say the lanes have been like a mud bath, here's a picture taken on today's ride:

P1020247.JPG

All uphill

Still rolling along
I give my tourer a quick wash and chain lube after every ride. 5 mins maximum.
My daily bike gets the same weekly.
They are hung up to dry in the garage.

If I am going on a day ride I give the bike thorough check in the stand before leaving home.

Buckets of hot soapy water!

Two things: my bike doesnt have huge clearances, and I have the biggest tyres on it it can manage with mudguards, because a lot of my routes are mucky and rough in winter. A couple of winters back I found the bike was really slow and hard to pedal. Spent a while checking brakes etc, before noticing the dried mud built up in the mudguards. I popped them off and found the dried mud was polished glossy by the tyres -I had basically been riding with two huge band brakes. Lesson learned, hot soapy water and a stiff bottle brush after every muddy ride!

The other point is that I am never going back to oil based chain lube. Wax lubes are self-cleaning as well as effective, and a smallish bottle goes a long way, even re lubricating after every three or four rides. Cleaning off any of the wax lube debris that sticks to the frame or other parts is just a wipe down with a soft rag.

PS clean bike parts corrode much less quickly.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Devon lanes have been awash with finest sticky red clay, flooded sections and assorted organic detritus. I don't have guards on at the moment so it's a hose down to remove crud and dead badgers etc. WD 40 and rag on the running gear and then Mickle.
Not clean, but serviceable.
I then wash the bike....

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Devon lanes have been awash with finest sticky red clay, flooded sections and assorted organic detritus. I don't have guards on at the moment so it's a hose down to remove crud and dead badgers etc. WD 40 and rag on the running gear and then Mickle.
Not clean, but serviceable.
I then wash the bike....

Boom tish!

DogmaStu

I wipe my bike down after every ride.

My road bike lives indoors on a trainer during the Winter because I'm a wuss and I don't venture out in the wet, grimy cold much. I've got a new gravel bike arriving next week, complete with mudguards, so I'm hoping that will get me out more in Winter. I still plan to wipe that down after each ride though.

A proper clean is once per week. Full service if I'm racing.

Tom B

Guru
.... What is this washing you speak of?

Time washing is time that could have been spent riding.

I tend to clean the oily bits weekly and mickle if it's been wet and grubby.

If it's been salty on the roads I love a bucket of car washing soapy water over the bike and do the lubes.

I can clean it spotless and this time if the year it's filthy again within the first 3 miles of my commute.

I agree with the 'mud in the mudguards' problem

I have had that a few time - I have perfected the "kick the mudguard" while still moving technique which helps with bits and pieces

but I find sticking the hosepipe down the front/back of the thing after every ride on any wet stuff helps a lot

Top Bottom