How often should you check your tyre pressure?

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by benb, 4 May 2010.

1. benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

As the title really.
    I pumped up my tyres when I started cycling to work a few weeks ago. Since then I've just given the tyres a squeeze to see if they still feel firm. Would you recommend getting the pump on them more often to check the pressure?

Also, when I pull the pump off, there's a small release of air as the valve disconnects (half a second or something). Should I be putting a bit more than the correct pressure in to account for this?

2. Vidor06

Vidor06 Long term loafer

I check my tyre pressure either on a Sunday or early Monday morning in preparation for my weekly commute.

3. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Moderator

if commuting everyday (as i used to) i'd pump them up every monday or when they felt like they needed it.

otherwise, it's no great bother to pump them up to full pressure if i'm going on a ride of any length.

4. accountantpete

accountantpete Legendary Member

I wouldn't worry about the small escape of air.

Butyl inner tubes retain the air very well for up to a month and even then only normally require a minimal top up.

5. magnatom

magnatom Guest

On one bike the pressure seems to drop noticeably over the course of a week, on the other it doesn't. Different tubes and tyres make a difference.

Checking once a week should suffice.

6. Moodyman

Moodyman Guru

When I bought my Marathon Plus & Tubes, Schwalbe said to pump them up once a month.

They also said that you shouldn't use thumb feel as measurement - i.e use a pump with gauge.

I commute every day, so I check & pump them to max once a week.

7. zacklaws

zacklaws Veteran

Before every ride, commuting or leisure, I check the pressure and if not 125lbs I pump them up.

8. OP
    OP
    benb

benb Evidence based cyclist

Thanks for all the tips.

I think I'll check them every week or 2, but no longer than that.

9. 4F

4F Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby

Weekly or before a big ride

10. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

As above, or with sudden increases in body-weight! ;)

11. yello

yello Legendary Member

I check before every ride... though it depends what you mean by 'check'. I don't get a gauge out but just give both tyres a quick squeeze. That tells me if they need air or not.

12. gavintc

gavintc Guru

Same here - pump them up pretty much every day or two. I use 115 psi.

13. ASC1951

ASC1951 Guru

My thumb is as accurate as most pump gauges, so I don't need one on my track pump.

I check my tyres every time I go out and i need to top them up every two or three weeks.

14. Fnaar

Fnaar Smutmaster General

On my roadie, it's once every two rides... just a top up. On my mtb/commuter, it's only necessary about once a month!

15. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

My tyres have usually dropped from 110 to around 90 within a few days so I pump them every ride.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice