How often should you check your tyre pressure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
As the title really.
I pumped up my tyres when I started cycling to work a few weeks ago. Since then I've just given the tyres a squeeze to see if they still feel firm. Would you recommend getting the pump on them more often to check the pressure?

Also, when I pull the pump off, there's a small release of air as the valve disconnects (half a second or something). Should I be putting a bit more than the correct pressure in to account for this?

Vidor06

Long term loafer
I check my tyre pressure either on a Sunday or early Monday morning in preparation for my weekly commute.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if commuting everyday (as i used to) i'd pump them up every monday or when they felt like they needed it.

otherwise, it's no great bother to pump them up to full pressure if i'm going on a ride of any length.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
I wouldn't worry about the small escape of air.

Butyl inner tubes retain the air very well for up to a month and even then only normally require a minimal top up.

On one bike the pressure seems to drop noticeably over the course of a week, on the other it doesn't. Different tubes and tyres make a difference.

Checking once a week should suffice.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
When I bought my Marathon Plus & Tubes, Schwalbe said to pump them up once a month.

They also said that you shouldn't use thumb feel as measurement - i.e use a pump with gauge.

I commute every day, so I check & pump them to max once a week.

OP
OP
benb

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Thanks for all the tips.

I think I'll check them every week or 2, but no longer than that.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Weekly or before a big ride

yello

I check before every ride... though it depends what you mean by 'check'. I don't get a gauge out but just give both tyres a quick squeeze. That tells me if they need air or not.

ASC1951

Guru
Moodyman said:
Schwalbe said that you shouldn't use thumb feel as measurement - i.e use a pump with gauge.
My thumb is as accurate as most pump gauges, so I don't need one on my track pump.

I check my tyres every time I go out and i need to top them up every two or three weeks.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
On my roadie, it's once every two rides... just a top up. On my mtb/commuter, it's only necessary about once a month!

Globalti

Legendary Member
My tyres have usually dropped from 110 to around 90 within a few days so I pump them every ride.

Top Bottom