How often should you wash your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Anonymous1502

I keep getting bike grease on the back of my legs I think it occurs when I get off the bike and by accident rub my leg against the casette. So part of me is thinking of giving my bike a proper wash and use degreaser and then put on some bike lub on the chain.

Is this a good idea?

vickster

Legendary Member
When it’s (Really) dirty

chain marks on legs are a sign of a real cyclist who actually ride their bike in all weathers :whistle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Almost every ride for the MTB I'm afraid, and it's a big wash as it looks like it's come from a bog usually.

OP, it's most likely excess oil on your chain or front chain rings.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Never. Thread can be locked now :whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When it’s (Really) dirty

chain marks on legs are a sign of a real cyclist who actually ride their bike in all weathers :whistle:
A female colleague came out for an after-work MTB ride with me and her boyfriend. I noticed that she had an oily chainring mark on one calf and pointed it out to her. She replied that she'd had a chainring tattoo done to save her having to remember to rub her leg on her oily chainring every ride... (It was a tattoo, but I think that remark was a joke! :laugh:)

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My occasional bikes get cleaned whenever they're used. Those in regular usage get cleaned weekly.

Aside from the shinyness, it is an opportunity to touch and closely inspect evety component. Old pilots and bold pilots and all that.
I spotted this accident-waiting-to-happen while cleaning my bike!

Top Bottom