How often should you wash your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
When it needs it, just washed all 6 of them this afternoon as this topic must have give me a kick up the backside to get them done.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I keep the mechanical parts tip top but never actually get a bucket of water and soap or anything.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
It's called giving the bike a coat of looking over. Proper square Land Rover owners learn to do it regularly.
With my old landy it turned into give it a look over and lose a weekend fixing it, most weekends, I think I only actually got to wash it once. Alas it’s charms ran thin with Ms P, so I sold it.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I clean a bike either when I realise it got dirty and actually looks mucky, or if the chain needs attention (overly oily, or a less than smooth sound suggesting grit).

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yes we sold our beloved 90 to finance a new boiler, which saved us money instead of bleeding money.

I used to wash my mountain bikes after every ride but the bearings in the Hope rear hubs weren't well protected and I used to have to change them every few months.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
It's called giving the bike a coat of looking over. Proper square Land Rover owners learn to do it regularly.
Hours that Surly looking these days? ^_^
It's a bit dark at the moment. I'll give it a coat of looking at in the morning.... :okay:

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes we sold our beloved 90 to finance a new boiler, which saved us money instead of bleeding money.

I used to wash my mountain bikes after every ride but the bearings in the Hope rear hubs weren't well protected and I used to have to change them every few months.
Christ, what were you cleaning them with? A wsterjet cutter?

CharlesF

Guru
I keep getting bike grease on the back of my legs I think it occurs when I get off the bike and by accident rub my leg against the casette. So part of me is thinking of giving my bike a proper wash and use degreaser and then put on some bike lub on the chain.

Is this a good idea?
Your posts intrigue me, I can’t figure out if they are genuine or wind up. Keep them coming!

Top Bottom