How often to clean road bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roops70

I bought a "Magic Sponge" from Poundland the other day and tried it on the bike. It was amazing on the alloy and SKS mudguards - just dampening it with water! They came up shiny it a second. However I was worried about what it might do to paintwork.

Anyone know about these Magic Sponges and whether they contain abrasives?

Also what is the best thing to do with paint chips - paint them in with clear nail varnish, or just use polish on the bike? (531 frame - and some of the chips had gone rusty)

on the road

Über Member
I only clean mine if I've been out in the rain or rode on a muddy road.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
On the first day I got my boardman comp, the wind blew it over when I was shutting the gate and the top bar got a pretty deep scratch. What should I do about that, a bit of polish perhaps?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I use GT85 to "dry clean" my road bikes and car shampoo for the mtb's.
What do people recommend for carbon frames? I fancy giving mine a coat of Turtle Wax and wondered what others do?

I just use water with a tiny bit of washing up liquid, elbow grease, finished off with a good going over with Mr Sheen.
Using Mr Sheen stops a lot of the mud, crap etc sticking to the frame, and gives it a nice sparkly finish too..

kips

Über Member
hi i got the lidil work stand its really strong and sturdy and only cost 30euro, one in halfords was
over a hundred and didnt look as good.get one if they come around again you wont be dissapointed!

zacklaws

Guru
What do people recommend for carbon frames? I fancy giving mine a coat of Turtle Wax and wondered what others do?

I used to use Mr Sheen but never found it that good apart from having a nice shiny bike, but I was recommended to use a polish for car dashboards after I moaned about all the muck my bike picks up one day whilst in my LBS, so I purchased some "Carplan Flash Dash". Polishes designed for car dashboards evidently have a higher silicone content than normal furniture polish, and it was quiet evident when I started using it as my bike would be almost as clean as when I set off, any remaining dirt if it was still wet would just hose off, and if it had dried, just brushed off.

roscco

You'd be really pleased with the effort I put into cleaning my bike this weekend Ian - I used two whole baby wipes!

The 'Mrs' is wondering why we go through so many, ive not the heart to tell her of there other use!

Svendo

Guru
I'd used my road bike for commuting this week as the commuter isn't running, and it's been wet a few times before it got the chance to clean it yesterday. I've used furniture polish (supermarket own brand) but it'd really worn off in a few weeks. This time I've used 'finish line showroom polish and protectant' which apparently has 'waterless wash & wax technology' and has Teflon in it and reassuring safety warnings on the back, so it must be powerful! The bike is now as shiny as ever.
I'll see how this goes, and then try a car polish, Auto-Glym, which is left over from doing the GF's car.

aberal

Guru
If your bike gets wet, dry it the second you get back from the ride. If it gets muddy, wash it thoroughly then oil/lube it. Oil/lube it regularly including cables and give it a wipe down now and then. Strip it down once a year for a thorough clean.

It's all you need to do. Look after it carefully, but don't be precious about it - that would be my advice. Life's too short.
rolleyes.gif

Top Bottom