how old before...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
Mine are now 18, 16 and 12. All are keen cyclists, which I tend to see as a good thing.

There is a lot going on at a young age: trees to climb, hills to roll down, balls to kick and chase. We didn't put any of ours on a bike until they were nearly four.

If it's fun, it's fun and they'll do it. One sees rather too many parents in parks trying to get their offspring into something they're clearly not interested in.

I don't think any age is 'too young' but I know lots of very keen cyclists who simply CANNOT UNDERSTAND why their children do not love bikes as much as they do. Everyone else can see why, but the parents cannot.

When they're tiny (two, three, four) it's just another fun thing to do. If it keeps being fun, they'll keep it up.

Scooters are a good way in.

Balance Bikes are fine, but you can just whip the pedals of a normal bike and drop the saddle.

I hope the above makes some sort of sense.
WOT A BRILL IDEA....about whipping the pedals off a 'normal bike' Why cant I ever have good ideas like that.

theFire

Veteran
I tried to convince my girlfriend our daughter was ready for her first bike ride at 6 weeks but she was having none of it.....

The girlfriend was much happier with this setup at 7 months..... still a bit young for too much riding but we have managed a mile or 2 :smile:

243886_10151201673056189_921595544_o.jpg

PpPete

Legendary Member
Wasn't aware of "balance bikes" when mine were young enough and so they suffered through stabilisers for far too long. Didnt seem to put them off for ever though. Strange how N+1 strikes at fearsomely early age now.
For years mine would not ride their "road" bikes anywhere near school.... if they rode to school it "had" to be a proper mountain bike like their friends. Now "all of a sudden" road bikes are the thing to have.
And heaven help us.... #3 wants a fixed wheel also !

Arch

Married to Night Train
From my experience with nephews, I'd also point out that while one child might be ready and raring to go at a certain age, another might not.

The older nephew has an Islabike scooter bike, has had it since he was 2 and it was a touch too big for him (doting auntie alert!), and while he can use it, he's still (now just 5) a bit hesitant. It's just not been his priority.

His little brother is 2, and a demon on his Toddlebike. All round, I'd say he's more physically confident of the two. I expect he'll make the transition to the scooter bike pretty seamlessly, and then my sister really will go grey, if his speed on the Toddlebike is anything to go by!

Top Bottom