how old before...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jdratcliffe

having just gotten my sleep patterns back (finacee gave birth 2mnths ago) and cycling to and from working im thinking how old/young is it acceptable for me to get my son his first bike? or have i missed the boat already? having a non cycling partner is tough as she feels one bike is too many (i currently have two a hybrid fixtail for fun and a road work horse for commuting)

429398_10151354161395232_636440231_23544708_292879672_n.jpg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
My little one was riding along on his toddlebike at the age of 18month. I plonked him on it before he was able to walk. (11 months old). It's nice and lightweight so easy for kiddies to control.

sdc12947s-jpg.7425.jpg

He has now graduated up to something larger and faster and at the age of 2 years old he can scoot along nicely....like this..

He has also got one of these,
sdc12948s-jpg.7427.jpg

though little bit large & heavier for him at the moment, he is already using it for shorter distances and won't be long until he is Zoooming along.

Plan is to get him riding pedal bike by the end of the year.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
i had to wait till mine was about 5 before she started riding , now 6 yrs later she enjoys the back seat of tandem with JLS playing on her i pod

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
My little boy currently has a bouncycle from early learning centre, had it from 14 months. Trying to persuade the missus to let me get him a balance bike at 18 months, I WILL get there

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
I'd say that no age is too young to expose them to a suitably rugged and sized bike. Ted's balance bike sat around in the house being ignored for a good few months before he worked out what it was for. Until they take an interest, there's no way on earth to convince them onto it. Once they've clocked it, there's no way to get them off.

Ted was coming up two when he started playing on the balance bike. Pedal bike just after 3. Darcey was already rolling at 18 months, and is eyeing his Islabike most aggressively.

Andy.

Hicky

Guru
Our eldest didnt learn till he was around 5ish and now at 9(in May) he has cycled about 30miles in his furthest day but had a difficult time learning.
Our youngest(avatar) was walking at 10/11months got the yellow bike for his 1st birthday, in the pic its his bro's birthday so it would make him 17months and he could whizz round.(bit of a nutter and throws himself into things without thinking!)
By 2 1/2 he was too big for it(and when out you'd have to jog to keep up!) and now has a MX14(3rd birthday prezzie) balance bike went to his playgroup for everyone to use.

My advice is get a toddlebike/balance bike when you spot one going cheap/free, he'll be ready when he's ready:bicycle:

e-rider

crappy member
my son learnt to ride without stablizers before his 4th birthday - we tried on a bowling green (short grass and a soft landing) and I let go of the saddle first attempt and he was off!

He'd been on various trikes, balance bikes and bikes with stablizers since pre-2

Mine are now 18, 16 and 12. All are keen cyclists, which I tend to see as a good thing.

There is a lot going on at a young age: trees to climb, hills to roll down, balls to kick and chase. We didn't put any of ours on a bike until they were nearly four.

If it's fun, it's fun and they'll do it. One sees rather too many parents in parks trying to get their offspring into something they're clearly not interested in.

I don't think any age is 'too young' but I know lots of very keen cyclists who simply CANNOT UNDERSTAND why their children do not love bikes as much as they do. Everyone else can see why, but the parents cannot.

When they're tiny (two, three, four) it's just another fun thing to do. If it keeps being fun, they'll keep it up.

Scooters are a good way in.

Balance Bikes are fine, but you can just whip the pedals of a normal bike and drop the saddle.

I hope the above makes some sort of sense.

AncientWyvern

That is a cute picture.

I feel your pain too as I have a non cycling partner though she is quite understanding that i need my 'thing'. I am expecting my first in August though I dont know whether it will be a boy or a girl, either way I plan to get them biking as soon as they can hold on!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
if you're keen to get them interested, how about a trailer which, with an adapter, can be used as soon as little one can hold his sit upright with his head unsupported. they love going in the trailer, and they make for great family bike rides.

the advice given about balance bikes is spot on; my eldest son took until 6 to learn with stabilisers, his younger brother used a balance bike and was riding unassisted at 4 and a half…

Top Bottom