How old is to old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steverob

Guru
Looks like it was a glitch. The RideLondon Twitter account has apologised for "an earlier issue" preventing some people from entering and from some of the responses, it seemed to be happening no matter what age you put down. But apparently it's all working again now.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

It’s a lot harder than a few people have given it credit for over the years. I guess the organisers want to try to reduce the number of deaths from cardiac problems that have plagued the event.
I couldn't do it

This might be a bit off topic:

https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/now-been-seven-deaths-six-14980570

Seven deaths in six years. Five cardiac arrests, two as a result of crashes (one participant and one pedestrian).

Now, there are lots and lots of people taking part. Cycling can be considered part of a healthy lifestyle, so the "big picture" should take these things into account, but all the same it must be a real PR headache for the organisers at the very least.

Personally I don't have the statistical knowledge or background data to give an opinion either way.
The biggest problem is that 3 of the cardiac arrests happened within a couple of hundred yards of each other, on the run into, or at the top of Leith Hill. The others were both on Kingston Bridge. So the incidents have been at 2 particular spots, and not spread along the course.

I have never got through on the ballot but done it for charity two years ago aged 63.
I haven't done too many century rides but found this the most enjoyable and also the easiest of the lot.
I still put in for every year and if i am lucky to get a congratulations magazine will these stories put me off.......NO.

CXRAndy

Guru
There are a few guys in our club late 60s who hang in on the club runs of 60-70 miles no problem. A easy 100 would be no issue to them

There isn't a "too old". You may choose to select more appropriate cycling activities as time goes on based on your own assessed capability.

Don't stop 'til you've had enough.

Top Bottom