How old is too old for Lycra 🥴

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
I'm 57, best shape in many a year. I look good in Lycra 😁

Brandane

Legendary Member
I will wear lycra, ONLY IF I am doing a ride from home and returning home again without stopping anywhere to visit, or going into a shop, a café, using the train for part of the journey, etc..

It is a rare occasion for me to be doing that, so the lycra stays in the drawer mostly. People have mentioned that it is comfortable. Personally I find a cotton T shirt and normal shorts just as comfortable. And I don't feel like an exhibitionist walking round shops or visiting friends/family!

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’m much the same as @Brandane , I generally wear loose fitting shorts eg Rapha touring or Rohan and a mountain equipment t shirt. I have some loose cycling jerseys which are useful for the pockets. It’s mainly about function eg quick drying and not too flappy but also so I can do touristy things on a ride. I’ve just got a nice cycling shirt from Chapeau described as a Cafe fit, which sums my physique perfectly!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Oh, that is so gross. How many nano seconds per km do you think it might save you?
5 kg off the weight will beat that
:wacko: My old mate, the late, great Pete Luxton, was cycling up to a few weeks before he died. Ever decreasing mileage as the cancer got him, but still going. He proudly told me that he still shaved his legs even when he was down to a few miles a day. But then he was an old-fashioned all-round cyclist, rode competitively, toured, rode audax events, etc.

Not 'gross' and not about speed.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
:wacko: My old mate, the late, great Pete Luxton, was cycling up to a few weeks before he died. Ever decreasing mileage as the cancer got him, but still going. He proudly told me that he still shaved his legs even when he was down to a few miles a day. But then he was an old-fashioned all-round cyclist, rode competitively, toured, rode audax events, etc.

Not 'gross' and not about speed.

Well done him!

What is the big deal about shaving your legs (or not, as the case may be)?, it is personal choice, nothing to do with anyone else.

Last edited:
I'm going to go out on a limb and both agree and disagree. It's far from my favourite look - I agree with you there. But it is *by far* the most comfortable over a distance. Sure, if you are just doing a few miles, but 40 or 50 miles or more and lycra / spandex whatever is really comfy, wicks the sweat, stops chafing etc. You don't have to be going fast to get the benefits - in fact when I tried to do a 100 mile sportive, I found the baggies really problematic - hot and chafing at my knees, even with the lycra underneath

The driving analogy just doesn't work for me.
+1

You can also go out running in ordinary clothes and an old pair of tennis shoes, but there is a reason why many people prefer shorts/running tops and trainers.

Chacun à son goût

Last edited:
Top Bottom