How old is your Boiler Suit or overalls?

How old is your Boiler Suit or Overalls

• 0 - 2 years old

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 3 - 5 years old

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 6 - 10 years old

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 11 + years old

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • I haven't got a Boiler Suit or overalls

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I need to get some new ones!

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
DSC_2407~2.JPG

Mine? At the very minimum, 34 years old, probably several years more than that, as I've had it since before I got married almost 34 years ago.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I got mine when my job required me to visit the engine rooms of ships to inspect their engines. That was about 25 years ago.

gbb

Legendary Member
For car work at home I tend to use a pair of work trousers and jacket.
Decorating, I have a couple pairs of overall trousers too tatty for work.
At work, my overalls struggle to last two years, knees get taken out.
£65 for a pair of work trousers :eek: They're heavy but well designed, but blooming eck !!!!

postman

Legendary Member
£10 off eBay last year,I hunted all over Leeds Market wanting to go local.I gave up.So I decorated four rooms.During the painting of the smallest room.I held the paint tray close to my stomach.Guess what it tipped forward while I was leaning to paint the ceiling.They look filthy now.Bad workman and all that.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I don't wear mine very often - only when decorating normally, which I do very rarely. But it's quite an interesting thing. I got it from a French agricultural suppliers about 20 years ago and it has zips that go all the way down the legs and up the body so the whole thing opens out. I've no idea why this is. Maybe if Monsieur le Fermier falls into a slurry pit then he can be efficiently zipped out of his overalls when being rescued.

Sharky

Guru
Did have one years ago, it seemed to get smaller as I got older. Now I just use old jeans and shirts, but have a fair bit of DIY on my todo list, so might invest in one again.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Very old, I have one that dates back to when I lived on the family farm. I moved south properly in 1990, and to uni 3 years before that, and it wasn't new then...

I don't wear mine very often - only when decorating normally, which I do very rarely. But it's quite an interesting thing. I got it from a French agricultural suppliers about 20 years ago and it has zips that go all the way down the legs and up the body so the whole thing opens out.
Are male strippers big in the french agricultural scene?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I live in a very well to do village and it makes me chuckle when I see the posh old blokes put their overalls on to do a slightly manual/ dirty job.

I just embrace the dirt!

Venod

Eh up
I have several boiler suits from work, they used to change supplier contracts now and again so the old ones were surplus, also have a few disposable ones issued for special jobs, but good enough for decorating, so don't much use :smile:

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
It's a great thread, @PeteXXX

I had to buy a new boiler suit in August. It still looks clean and new, barely worn. It has absolutely no soul!

My previous one had a grand life under cars, in lofts, chimneys and floor voids, outside in garden/allotments, down mines & caverns, and even when laying track as a volunteer on a heritage railway.

It was spattered with paint, oil, crease, cement and concrete. It was stained by thick wet cave clay, and encrusted with car body filler, silicone sealant, tile adhesive and various blobs of glue & expoxy. It had lived!!

Top Bottom