How old is your Boiler Suit or overalls?

How old is your Boiler Suit or Overalls

• 0 - 2 years old

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • 3 - 5 years old

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • 6 - 10 years old

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 11 + years old

Votes: 20 40.8%
  • I haven't got a Boiler Suit or overalls

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • I need to get some new ones!

Votes: 2 4.1%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I haven't worn mine since the 1980's. :whistle:

1e2704b84d17cec19f2600ca67d85621.jpg

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
It's a great thread, @PeteXXX

I had to buy a new boiler suit in August. It still looks clean and new, barely worn. It has absolutely no soul!

My previous one had a grand life under cars, in lofts, chimneys and floor voids, outside in garden/allotments, down mines & caverns, and even when laying track as a volunteer on a heritage railway.

It was spattered with paint, oil, crease, cement and concrete. It was stained by thick wet cave clay, and encrusted with car body filler, silicone sealant, tile adhesive and various blobs of glue & expoxy. It had lived!!

The white streaks on mine is mainly sealant from bathroom and kitchen fitting but it does have other ground in characteristics, too!

presta

Guru
I've never had a boiler suit.

I wear my clothes until they're full of holes, then demote them to work clothes, then when they're even more full of holes they go in the rag bin in the garage for cleaning the bike. Even the rags have a heirarchy, I use the cleanest ones for the cleanest parts. If the charity shop wants them after that, they can have them.

At the very minimum, 34 years old
That's in surprisingly good condition for 34 years old.

Big John

Guru
Mine are well worn and ripped in a few places BUT my son-in-law works at a place where money is no object and they get all sorts of equipment bought for them. Last year he gave me a fire resistant set of orange hi Viz overalls that'll last this lifetime and possibly the next one. I'd hate to have to fork out for a pair because I'm sure they can't be cheap but I can be seen from outer space and if the bike catches fire while I'm working on it I should be OK. However, they're still relatively untouched while I continue to do my best to wear my old ones out.

Alex321

Veteran
I've never owned a boiler suit.

I just have a box full of old trousers and tops that are too scruffy for normal wear, that get used when doing any potentially dirty work. Mostly covered in splashes of paint and with holes in various places.

tyred

Legendary Member
I used to have a boiler suit but then I lost six stone in weight so it is more like putting on a wigwam. I never got around to getting a replacement so just wear my oldest clothes when I need to get dirty.

Threw mine away a while ago, they were maybe 20 years old
Now it's trousers that are stained/torn/damaged at work, & old t-shirts/tops
On another vein, I still have the Draper socket-set, I got for my 14th birthday (I'm well over 55 now)

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I remember when I started as an apprentice painter and decorator in 1977, my mum bought me two pairs pairs of white bib & brace overalls. My legs were so long (35 inch) and I was so thin that medium sized overalls only had a 29/30 inch maximum, inside leg. She cut the legs off one pair and used the bottom bits to extend the legs on one pair, then tidied up the other pair, making them into knee length shorts. Those shorts came in handy on hot days! :okay:

presta

Guru
I remember when I started as an apprentice painter and decorator in 1977, my mum bought me two pairs pairs of white bib & brace overalls. My legs were so long (35 inch) and I was so thin that medium sized overalls only had a 29/30 inch maximum, inside leg. She cut the legs off one pair and used the bottom bits to extend the legs on one pair, then tidied up the other pair, making them into knee length shorts. Those shorts came in handy on hot days! :okay:

I'm 6' 5", I get the impression if I were to wear a boiler suit I'd knacker myself evey time I shrug my shoulders.

Gwylan

Veteran
Have a padded boiler suit. Lidl in a suburb of Brussels. About 2009.
Very comfy in the winter, bit over the top for summer.
Was great for sailing and boaty maintenance.
Still fits and smart, despite the odd splash of copper paint.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Mine's my old work's one from the mid '90s and used when bike fettling. I can still get into it but, being a couple of inches over average height, it can be a bit tight around the shoulders if I have to bend down to pick stuff up as they only did 3 sizes - small (short & slim), medium (average height & average build) and large (average height and at least we know who ate all the pies).

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Is that a thing, chaps having overalls that aren't for work? 🤔. I've never owned overalls, nor knowingly worn them 🙂 For dirty jobs or decorating at home, I just wear old scruffy clothes I no longer care for 🙂

Top Bottom