How on-earth do you fit everything in your saddle bag???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Another good idea...........I take one of those gizmos with loads of allen keys whereas I am really only going to ever need the 2.
Take care with this and check what sizes you really have on the bike(s). A CPR-9 has lots of allen key sizes and a screwdriver head (handy for gear limit screws) and is lighter than most single allen keys, but it cannot reach all possible bolt positions, so I need to carry a flip-out key on a particular bike.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I have a Topeak aero wedge size medium. That will take:
Spare inner tube
Aldi puncture repair kit. - The plastic box came with patches and rubber solution but to save space and disorder in my bag, I squeezed into the box a small piece of sandpaper, 2 tyre levers and two latex gloves.
Bike multitool.
Folding multitool with pliers and knife blades.
Couple of pounds in various coins
Mobile 'phone
Wallet and house keys.
Emergency stash Snickers bar and 4 jelly babies

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I have a Carradice.

/mic drop

Joking aside, on the quick bike, I carry multitool, tyre levers, Rema Tip Top "Sport" puncture kit and a spare tube in a Specialized Mini-Wedge saddle bag. Keys and 'phone in a Topeak Tri-Bag, food and armwarmers, gilet in jersey pockets.

How far are you going to need jelly babies and a cereal bar?
Probably only the shops. I really like jelly babies though.

vickster

Legendary Member
How do people actually get stuff out of their saddle bags once rammed full of stuff?

My longer rides usually involve a stop or three so I usually carry a D lock, in a trunk bag with fold out pannier, which take a lot of stuff! If staying local, I wouldn't even bother with an inner tube, just money, bank card, Oyster card, phone, keys if not planning to stop (I now have ETA membership to get me home)

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I never carry my keys- as a left over from my surfing days I use a key pod, so if I'm at an event the keys stay with the car and if I'm at home I stick the house keys in it on my way out.
keypod_onwheel2__39989.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How do people actually get stuff out of their saddle bags once rammed full of stuff?
My current small bag opens at the "small" end and contents are arranged so the ends are visible and they can slide out. If too many things are removed at once, then repacking is an art! :laugh: Bags that open by hinging the top are more difficult to get one thing out of neatly.

My locks get clipped or strapped to the bike too. I've never seen a decent lock that fits in a small bag.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

Mine is in order. :smile:
Phone and coins (in bank coin bag) in the mesh in the folding cover/door
Main bag (reading from top to bottom):
Keys and wallet
Emergency stash
Puncture box
Multitools and spare inner

NorvernRob

EDF20E9D-6DA8-4A60-B593-A4078821FDFD_zpszbxcndcg.jpg

In that bag is a spare tube, 2 levers, patches, small multitool, 2.5mm Allen key, spare quick link and £10/20 depending where I'm going.

A mini pump goes in my jersey pocket wrapped in a gilet, my phone goes into the same pocket so it doesn't jump out anywhere, then food in the other two pockets, how much depends where I'm going.

bikeman66

Spare tube, puncture kit, multi-tool, two co2 cartridges and an inflator head, mobile and a tenner in a Zefal X-light. No denying it's a bit of a tight fit, but with a bit of effort it's do-able!

ChrisEyles

Guru
I struggled with this problem for quite a while! I eventually converged on my current set-up, using jersey pockets for food, an extra water bottle, and phone/wallet, and a tool roll under the saddle for a tube, pump, tyre levers, puncture repair kit, cable ties, and multi tool.

I've sometimes chanced it and leave the tool roll at home on shorter rides... and I always get paranoid that my back tyre is going down! Ditching the tools doesn't seem to make me go faster, so they're staying on the bike from now on.

Older bikes can be a bit more of a faff since you usually need spanners rather than allen keys to adjust anything - even worse if you don't have Q/R on your wheels and need a 14mm spanner! I used to carry one around in my backpack when commuting... ended up getting confiscated in an airport when I forgot to remove it :sad:

Reactions: mjr

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
I don't! :okay:

Let me zoom in on one of the photos from my ride yesterday ...

View attachment 85767

A Camelbak bag. TBH (as you can see) I normally use bottles on the road bike so I omit the Camelbak bladder. The bag is really handy for those who suffer from your problem!
I looked at that and wondered why you had a hula hoop with you, then I drank more coffee and realised it is you highlighting the bag - oops! :shy:

Puddles

Do I need to get the spray plaster out?
As for fitting things in a saddle bag - that does not happen!

This does though....

1396052_695768840434355_681666888_n.jpg

The panniers always hold locks, first aid kit (plasters, wipes, germoline, insect bite), baby wipes and a roll of bags plus in winter waterproofs for 3, pump,

My basket has emergency pennies, radar key, pencil, pen, paper, camera, phone, and all sorts of spurious items to do things like repair a crabbing line oh and something to eat

"Little" the trailer has been replaced with this vvv now and is currently filled with buckets, spades, crabbing nets, crabbing lines, swim wear, 2 towels, a picnic rug, sandals.....

These are the "Basics" but they get added to with a picnic, piles of shells, balls, bats, drinks, school projects, and a myriad of other small people items!

wp_20150417_18_01_43_pro-jpg.3426

Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom