How poor a sentence is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I find it difficult to believe that saying that ignoring someone makes CC more "enjoyable" to their face can be anything other than personal.
Before pressing the "ignore" button i most certainly did inform the person of this action. I also told them why. I was also advised that it was the best thing to do by several other CC'ers. Haven't looked back since.

buggi

Bird Saviour
here's your chance to do something about it.

CTC is shocked at the derisory sentence handed down to Gary McCourt, who killed 75-year-old CTC member Audrey Fyfe in August 2011. CTC Councillor for Scotland Peter Hayman, who attended her funeral, said:“A sentence of 300 hours of community service and only a 5-year ban is scandalous and goes against the efforts to encourage cycling.” Previously, the driver had served time in jail for killing another cyclist. Moreover, when explaining the sentence, Sheriff James Scott mentioned that Mrs Fyfe was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, which, in his view, may have “contributed to her death”. CTC is asking you to support Mrs Fyfe’s family in their appeal against the sentence by sending a letter to the Lord Advocate in Scotland.

hopefully the links still work from the paste. Obviously the CTC have also picked up on the fact that the not wearing of a helmet has contributed to the sentence. The fact that there is no proof helmets work, and it implies the cyclist is somehow at fault, is reason enough to appeal the sentence.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Its like getting stabbed on a night out and then being blamed as you didn't have a stab vest on.

On the other hand you could say that every time you go out on the road you are putting yourself in harms way and this is what the judge has to consider in such cases. I am not condoning the sentence in any way, which I think is appalling.

snorri

Legendary Member
On the other hand you could say that every time you go out on the road you are putting yourself in harms way and this is what the judge has to consider in such cases.
We are "in harms way" all day and every day. I don't think we should have to "armour up" against drivers any more than by gun owners or stray shots from golfers as we cycle along public roads.

Top Bottom