How poor a sentence is this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
[QUOTE 2437021, member: 45"]He might be right. Whatever our view on helmets, let's keep things in perspective.[/quote]

may i direct you to Dan's perfectly put point...

Its like getting stabbed on a night out and then being blamed as you didn't have a stab vest on.

lets keep things in proper perspective eh?

Linford

This this tweet sums it up...

(@EyeEdinburgh):

Gary McCourt kills two people, judge says in five years it's OK for him to use same weapon again

At least the Crown Office are looking into it according to the latest BBC update.

He should have got life for the second one

buggi

Bird Saviour
I'm not sure this is the same because its Scottish law, but i know with English law that if you feel a crown court sentence is not harsh enough you can appeal to the Department of Justice, and it only takes one request for them to be obliged to review it.

Also, the sheriff has passed a sentence that could easily be appealed because "The sheriff said Mrs Fyffe "wasn't to blame in any way for the accident", but added: "She was not wearing a safety helmet and that in my view contributed to her death." ... "

When sentencing, your sentence should be based on fact and not presumptions. The Sheriff has actually made a presumption that cycle helmets are effective, when in fact, there is no scientific proof that it would have made any difference". Therefore, if this was a contributory factor in her lenient sentencing, it should be appealed against.

killed two cyclists???? Hmmmm... Surely, you would be, as a normal motorist just going about there daily business, unlucky enough to not see a cyclist and kill one once... Once you had done that, it would be forever on your mind, and you'd never not see a cyclist again surely, This smacks to me of someone who hates cyclists and if I was the prosecution, i would seriously be questioning whether this was a pre-meditated act.

buggi

Bird Saviour
Horrible news about the cyclist but why are we so quick to pass sentence (not grammar) and judgement when we know very little about the facts?? Assumptions are the mother of ALL f*ck ups!!

Because he was "found guilty". that means a jury or whoever listened to the facts of the case and found him guilty. The point is, if you are found guilty of killing a cyclist, not once but twice, the sentence should be a little stiffer than 300 hours community service don't you think???

edindave

Über Member
Poor sentencing would appear to come easily for this Sheriff going by previous form...
http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2010/02/24/13908-2692/

Because he was "found guilty". that means a jury or whoever listened to the facts of the case and found him guilty. The point is, if you are found guilty of killing a cyclist, not once but twice, the sentence should be a little stiffer than 300 hours community service don't you think???
Guilty of what charge though? We are acting upon the facts as presented by the media. As far as i can tell no one here was on the jury.

killed two cyclists???? Hmmmm... Surely, you would be, as a normal motorist just going about there daily business, unlucky enough to not see a cyclist and kill one once... Once you had done that, it would be forever on your mind, and you'd never not see a cyclist again surely, This smacks to me of someone who hates cyclists and if I was the prosecution, i would seriously be questioning whether this was a pre-meditated act.

Again assumptions. Without knowing the facts, this guy has now been promoted to a cold blooded killer with intent. He was involved in a similar incident 28 years ago! For all you or i know both incidents could have been very unfortunate accidents. They could also have been the work of a dangerous man behind the wheel.

It's times like these that we could all apparently do a better job than the judge, the prosecution, the arresting officer, witnesses and the jury. Oh how they have let us down, them with all their facts and know how and us with our media reports and opinions.

just jim

This must be so distressing to family and friends and makes for a depressing read I have to say, though that seems to be the way of it in the U.K.
The sheriff said Mrs Fyffe "wasn't to blame in any way for the accident", but added: "She was not wearing a safety helmet and that in my view contributed to her death."
"I'm not blaming the victim, but..."

Top Bottom