How queer no puncture ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

macp

Guru
My front tyre has been going down slowly so today I thought I would repair or replace it. I noticed it looked a bit dog eared with two previous repairs so threw in a new tube. I then decided I would check the old one partly out of curiosity and partly because I dont have a spare. Armed with a bucket of water I began to check it and nothing, not even from the valve ?

Also I noted the tyre wall felt soft but not cracked. I reckon these are the original tyres. As this a 2008 bike that makes them 8yrs old so im thinking they are past their best ?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Stretch the tube in sections underwater. I had one very tiny puncture which didn't produce bubbles until I did that.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Posted this in another thread just 15 minutes ago.....shameless copy and paste of my own work...:rolleyes:

The old tube with the puncture being inflated outside the tyre will expand and therefore be at a much lower pressure, so low it may not be enough to force air through a tiny puncture hole. Inside the tyre the pressures are much greater,

Try getting an inner tube to 100psi on its own and see how much space is left in the room your in....:okay:

Actually that souns fun, wheres my joe blow....

Following Colins good advice will stretch the hole and allow the escape of air which if it happens would validate my statement which I commend to the house.

Jody

Stubborn git
Armed with a bucket of water I began to check it and nothing, not even from the valve ?

You sometimes only get a small bubble every few seconds depending on how much it was inflated and how small the hole is. Inlfate it to a decent size and leave the portion submerged for longer.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Old tubes and new for that matter lose air through the tube surface..leave a road bike for a few weeks and the 110psi will be 60 psi..
high volume mtb tubes do the same but its usually less noticable due to lower pressure and larger amount of air..
we need a physics teacher to put it scientifically :okay:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Old tubes and new for that matter lose air through the tube surface..leave a road bike for a few weeks and the 110psi will be 60 psi..
high volume mtb tubes do the same but its usually less noticable due to lower pressure and larger amount of air..
we need a physics teacher to put it scientifically :okay:

+1, loss of pressure is normal, if I've pressurised my 700c road bike tubes at 105psi on moday, by wednesday they'll be somewhere around 80-95psi. When I do the same with my brompton (16inch rims) it takes more than a week before they're around 80-95psi.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Osmosis...
Gesundheit

Top Bottom