How reliable are your knees these days?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
My knees are fine but like Colin, I keep an eye on my weight and don't allow myself to get more than about a stone over what I should be. When I'm kneeling down to do stuff on hard surfaces I use either trouser kneepads or some sort of improvised cushion - foam cushion material out of scrap sofas stuffed into a plastic sack to waterproof it used to be de rigeur at work for this years ago.
I don't do running because it's high impact on joints and I find it extremely boring anyway, but I do spend a lot of time on my feet either walking around or standing at work. Lastly I don't mash stupidly high gears and I almost always ride seated. On the rare occasions I do have a sore knee I try to avoid riding until it clears up, and If I do ride, I take it really easy in the lower gears .
I don't take painkillers to mask the symptoms and carry on doing something that causes pain. If doing something hurts, I try to avoid doing that activity.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1258

My knees are fine, my hips and back are boloxed.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Funny you should bring this up. Never had a problem until a few weeks ago when the left one started to give me pain. Walking was the worst but cycling it was fine. Would this be the onset of arthritis? I do have some stiffness in my fingers but the heat here lessens it. The knee has actually improved and is a lot better than it was. Just do as much cycling as I can and hope the other one doesn't start.

My knees are similar. A combination of old sporting injuries and wear and tear, and ligament damage have left me with a sore right knee, it has been x-rayed and there are some arthritic changes, but nothing serious yet.
Walking is no real problem, but after a few miles it does ache on the inside a bit.
Cycling on the other hand is perfectly pain free.

RoMeR

Über Member
Suffer with left knee now and again, probably due to many years hillwalking but cycling is not a problem.

tyred

Legendary Member
More reliable than my tyres it seems but at least they can be easily replaced.

tyred

Legendary Member
My knees are fine, my hips and back are boloxed.

Completely off-topic but that reminds me of two old bachelor brothers who lived nearby when I was growing up. One had Alzheimer's disease and one problems with his knees and hips. My Dad met one of them in a shop and asked how they were keeping, to which the reply was "My knee's ****ed and his head's away."

Jameshow

Veteran
Lol Andy, hyper comes from the Greek, it means something like "unusually energetic" in this case.
A car dependency affliction could be "micromobility syndrome" :laugh:

Usually means your joints move beyond the normal range of movement which puts stress on the cartilage etc.
So the Twin Dr's told me!🤣🤣🤣

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Funny you should bring this up. Never had a problem until a few weeks ago when the left one started to give me pain. Walking was the worst but cycling it was fine. Would this be the onset of arthritis? I do have some stiffness in my fingers but the heat here lessens it. The knee has actually improved and is a lot better than it was. Just do as much cycling as I can and hope the other one doesn't start.

I am similar,I have been fine for years and all of a sudden my inner side of one knee hurts when turning or twisting.doesnt hurt on the bike

Mo1959

Legendary Member
My knees are about the only part of me that doesn't ache these days! Probably just as well as I'm trying to get back into jogging as my cycling mojo has disappeared.

Top Bottom