How reliable are your knees these days?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
My knees are sound (even though I'm way above my fighting weight) until I kneel on a hard surface- then it feels like I've got broken glass under my patella.

I use what was a back support I used in one of my cars It is fabric covered foam Always use it to keel on hard surface’s. My problem is getting up from the kneeling position

I'm in mid 60's, and my knees were groaning a bit, despite having taken a cod liver oil capsule daily for many years. Like ColinJ further up thread, I have taken off some weight lately (not anywhere as drastic as him: about a stone and three quarters in my case, which gets me back to what my weight was about 20 years ago), and my knees are a lot happier for it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My knees are sound (even though I'm way above my fighting weight) until I kneel on a hard surface- then it feels like I've got broken glass under my patella.

Same here knees are usually 100% (other than a few weeks this year - dan knows) - can't kneel on my knees on anything hard at all. I try and sit on a little step if I can. That's where a bike maintenance stand is good. I get shooting pain if I don't that.

My old man spent way too long on his knees fixing trucks and busses, they are knackered now. He won't get them 'fixed'. :whistle: He can still get to the pub at the caravan, but I give him 5 minutes head start :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thinking of giving the weekend ride a miss,knee still tender in just one spot and no amount of painkillers and anti anti-inflammatory are having any effect

This what the left knee was like a few weeks ago; ok again now after plenty of ice pack use and Ibuprofen;

IMG_3775.jpeg

IMG_3776.jpeg

Falsesummat

At nearly 62, my knees are still very good. I run around 20 miles a week and cycle around 80 miles a week on average, and im a builder, bricklayer by trade. Activity, good genes, good diet and good luck has been my good fortune. I have injured my knees at work by kneeling on objects but that was decades ago and now use Snickers trousers with removable knee pads

postman

Legendary Member
One of mine was a nightmare,it nearly cost me my job.Nine years i had trouble short versions cartlidge was shot to hell.Bone on bone it used to swell up and lockout.It took over an hour of rest in the firstaid room to settle down.I was on a stage three warning at the end.So i had an arthroscopy and six weeks sick.Trouble was i went back to work without the consultant knowing.It collapsed ambulance took me to a and e,i stayed till the morning shift at a and e started guess who was on duty the consultant, he went ballistic he later did a repair .Nine weeks i was then off again,A senior nurse said i will tell he consultant about Royal Mail and stages as her brother was a driver and had cancer.Anyway never any trouble after the second operation.That nearly twenty years ago.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
well i have sorted my knee pain with new pedals, the ones i had were second hand a long time ago and they were worn so i sanded the edge down that was causing squeaking when i rode ,Replaced pedals on 2 bikes and my knees feel a lot better even after a big ride yesterday

byegad

Legendary Member
I'm one of the people waiting for a replacement knee. The worst one has no cartilage whatsoever on the inner wearing faces. So consequently my annual mileage this year will only need one figure! The other bad one is not far behind it.

Top Bottom