How safe is it to park the bike at tube stations?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
aleksei said:
XmisterIS, could you expand a little on the complex carbs? what kind of food has them?

+1 .....Xminster, not being a dietitian myself I wouldnt know a complex carb from a straight forward one.

what type of easily available foods are we talking about here?

PS. Aleksei, Well done, at least give it a go, allow yourself 2 hours, you honestly will find your pace picking up in the middle/end as you will get very warmed up (not too hot but in the right zone) and may surprise yourself with how fast you travel. My 20 miles takes 65 minutes coming in and up to 90 minutes going home (the hills works to my advantage and disadvantage)...I am guessing you will eventually run in at around 80 minutes (given that you will have no hills to coast down)

karan733

XmisterIS said:
Complex carbs are carbohydrates that take a long time to be metabolised, so that they release energy slowly, so that you don't get a big energy "high" (cycling fast with bags of energy) followed by an energy "low" (no energy left to push the pedals round).

As a general rule, brown rice and brown pasta are good complex carbs, white rice and white pasta are not.

Additionaly, if you feel like you're starting to flag en-route, resist the temptation to stop and get something super-sugary like a can of coke or a mars bar - these will just flood your blood with sugar and enable you to ride like Superman for about 3 miles - but after that you will feel even more exhausted and will probably start getting muscle cramps too! Instead, take a bag of dried mixed fruit and nuts with you - e.g. Trail Mix from a health food store and have a nibble when you need a bit of energy.

The best way to keep yourself from needing to eat en-route though is to have a big meal of complex carbs 20-30 mins before you set out - e.g. a big plate of pasta and sauce. Or, if you ride in the morning, a big bowl of museli with honey rather than sugar. And go easy on the honey!

Eating the right food makes the difference between having an enjoyable ride and having a ride where you are exhausted and hating it. If you arrive home with energy to spare, then you've eaten the right food.

Thanks for this info :wacko: Its really helpful to know to those just starting out commuting 5 days a week!

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
aleksei said:
:smile: Whaaa? under an hour!? Hehe.. I barely managed to do 40 minutes to Turnham Green the other day I did a reconnaissance ride. Keep in mind I'm a beginner, on a hybrid, and still a confessed gutter hugger, I just don't feel that confident out there yet.

Go as far as you feel comfortable with, and don't feel you have to go all the way. That's how I started out and now I'm completely addicted!

I've left my bike at stations many times, some are safer than others. Get a decent lock (possibly two) and strip stealables (like lights) off it when you lock up. Seriously consider insurance as well. I pay around £6 a month and, touch wood, I've not yet had a bike nicked but it's worth it for peace of mind.

LOGAN 5

Good luck with the new commute. However, you won't have your bike for long. It WILL get stolen. I don't leave my bikes anywhere outside anymore I've had so many stolen or parts stolen!

Top Bottom