How safe is your route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hambones

My 8 mile commute into Tottenham has ZERO dots! However, judging by the cyclecraft of a new commuter I've been seeing I'd expect one any day soon!

gavintc

Guru
I agree with the dots on my commute and local area. They are at points that I regard as locations worthy of caution. But, there are also other risky points with no red dots. There is only 1 dot on my 17 mile commute, but I recognise the other points.

jimboalee

There are seven dots on my 24 mile route.
Six of them are within my shortened 15 mile route.

One is at the entrance of my workplace. I remember it. A local woman was bumped off her bike at 'schools out' time by a car travelling through - nothing to do with anyone at my workplace.

levad

Veteran
13 mile commute, 0 red dots :thumbsup:

What about a map with blue dots to show the (regular) pressence of black ice over the winter!

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Plenty of dots in the town I start in and plenty in the town I finish in, but none on the 18 miles of A20 in between where I get past at speeds of up to 80-90 mph on some straight stretches!!

Mind you a guy in a Ferrari 550 Marinello slowed to pass me earlier, I figured he was either looking at the bike or had an appetite for oversized man flesh!

thomas

the tank engine
It's annoying, I had an incident in the same spot as one on there, but that data is from 2005-2007 so it must be a cycle unfriendly spot!

I did report it to the police but they didn't do anything.

Plax

Guru
No red dots on my route. My end seems relatively clear it's once you get to South Wales you see a splurge of red, although the North East of Wales seems to have a few all in one area. More densley populated I suppose!

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Origamist said:
Without knowing cyclist flows, the map/figures are not very helpful.

I'll agree that would help - as would knowing the type of incident, but we probably have some idea of how many cyclists are using a particular route. I happen to avoid one of the very red stretches as I prefer a wide road that isn't parked up that I don't have to do lots of start/stop cycling, and less side roads. Notably it doesn't have red dots on that stretch and yet it is very well used by cyclists.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There are a few on mine - possibly about 10 depending upon the route - but none where I was knocked off at Xmas. My usual black spot is marked on the map - two side roads, one left, then one right - drivers just pull out, and don't think a bike can be doing 30 mph down hill....

Origamist

Legendary Member
summerdays said:
I'll agree that would help - as would knowing the type of incident, but we probably have some idea of how many cyclists are using a particular route. I happen to avoid one of the very red stretches as I prefer a wide road that isn't parked up that I don't have to do lots of start/stop cycling, and less side roads. Notably it doesn't have red dots on that stretch and yet it is very well used by cyclists.

We don't know if distribution of the "collision clusters" are random or reflect the risk of the location to the cyclist.

Top Bottom