How safe is your route?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Another interesting observation. I had my incident in Nov 2007 and the po-leese 'processed' it although they took no action against the driver. BUT, no dot. The nearest dot is on a roadabout about 50m away. Is that me? If it is, the road conditions at the dot are very different to the road where the incident took place.

(Places scientist monocle in eye) I would conclude that the raw data are either incomplete (because I'm not on it!:laugh:) or at the least spatially inaccurate. The raw data in the source spreadsheet doesn't give any indication of spatial error, although I've not looked through the associated web site.

With the issues that m'colleague Origamist has highlighted, I'd be very sceptical about inferring too much from individual points on the map. If they're aggregated over a sufficiently large area they could mean that there are either lots of cyclists or lots of incidents, but you can't tell from the raw data alone.

Bollo said:
(Places scientist monocle in eye) I would conclude that the raw data are either incomplete (because I'm not on it!:evil:) or at the least spatially inaccurate. The raw data in the source spreadsheet doesn't give any indication of spatial error, although I've not looked through the associated web site.
When I glanced at the page last night there was one dot, approximately 3 miles out to sea in the River Forth, did the cyclist hit an oil tanker :blush:.

PBancroft

Surprisingly few red dots.I say surprising because the reason I am always given when people say they would love to cycle but... is because the road is too dangerous.

J4CKO

Very little on mine but there aren't that many commuters on bikes but plenty of tits in cars ,actually thats a bit unfair, most are ok.

Evilcat

I think I just counted 54 red dots on my Chiswick to Old Street commute. Judging by the taxi near misses, bendy buses pulling in, motorcyclists passing too close, RLJers on Notting Hill and idiots on fixies with no brakes, I'm surprised it's not more...

EC

Suerdusty

Ha found my red dot, very accurate mapping!

Duds

my route is pretty safe - not sure about the guy that hurt himself a mile off-shore North of Edinburgh though.......!

rebeccs

Mine's not too bad. A few dots and all at points which I already know I have to be careful at. One of them I had a near miss on today because an inconsiderate driver decided to skim past me (literally) at a point where I needed to veer out slightly because of drains in the side of the road. A fraction of an inch of wobble and I'd have been over.

She wasn't in the least bit concerned however because after she had passed me she was still hugging the curbside like it was her best friend. This is why some cyclists ride in the middle of the road, it's the only way to get some drivers to notice you're there, visibility gear or not.

Top Bottom