How should I have taken this roundabout ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cab

Tynan said:
entirely too sensible cab, it's my opinion that on things like big roundabouts drivers barely know what to do, let alone consider what a bike is doing, you have to make it really really easy for them, take a lane/position and force them to recognise you as 'one of them' rather than something else

I think you're agreeing with me; you pick a lane position for where you are and what you're doing now, the earlier choice of lane position at the entrance to the roundabout has little bearing on how you're treated half way around it.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
of course but it's about doing your best, by being central and signalling confidently you defy them to crowd you rather than inviting them to

not contentious surely?

No, not tendentious; it's a traffic coping strategy and one that I use at RABs.

My point is that you can act in the manner of a motor vehicle ("one of them"), but drivers can easily call your bluff as you are not really "one of them". Impersonating a car can help, but it can also hinder you, depending on the situation.

When you are in the centre of a lane on a RAB you are not really "defying" a motorist as he can encroach into half of your lane with impunity...

Cyclists are traffic, but they're the bottom-dwellers in the vehicular hierarchy in the UK.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Assertive riding however, tends to discourage motons from encroaching in your bit of lane. A fear wobble takes things a whole lot further still.

It's often not the size of the dog in the fight...

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Assertive riding however, tends to discourage motons from encroaching in your bit of lane. A fear wobble takes things a whole lot further still.

It's often not the size of the dog in the fight...

In the same way that a "fear wobble" can make people lay off the gas, so can lane-splitting (and then taking the lane) at a RAB junction as it can create uncertainty in the mind of the waiting motorists as to your intentions, but I doubt you would advocate this...?

The problem with Archie Griffen's canine quote, is that whilst cyclists can indeed yap like a Jack Russell, they don't bite like one.

Origamist

Legendary Member
BentMikey said:
Not really, but I suspect you're just arguing for the sake of it, in the same way a jack russell doesn't bite like a rotweiler.

I'm not arguing; play the ball and not the man...

I am presenting a different scenario in which a degree of unpredictability in your riding can also affect the way you are treated - sometimes positively and sometimes negatively.

If you think the Griffin quote is apposite for cyclists in traffic that's up to you (even though you admit that Jack Russells don't bite like rottweilers).

Top Bottom