How should I have taken this roundabout ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
It is 5 roads in and the flyover is closed. The lanes are marked very well and if you get in the correct one, you just flow round to your exit. I was taking the last exit on the right from where I joined. I went straight over to the middle and that lane should take me round to the A127 exit. The woman in the Saxo pulled up next to me while I was waiting to go. She was behind me when I got to the middle and then squeezed me on the bend.
The dark car waiting to join just before I leave is just over the white line, but that is a fairly normal position. It is cars on their left you have to watch for.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S2c7NgvRf8

Could I have gone round better ?

Jesus – that was close – you took it well – she didn’t – perhaps be a little more assertive next time – ie take the middle of the lane – glad you’re ok

Cab

Yep, the only thing you could have done differently would be to be more assertively in the middle of the lane. But at that kind of roundabout, with traffic coming from all over the place, you're watching out for so many things that its rather hard to get all of those details right every time. Her fault, not yours.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Can you avoid Gallows Corner? If so, I'd consider circumventing it.

As others have said, you could have taken a more central lane position, but with the poor lane discipline I see at many RABs, you'll still get close passes and erratic lane changers (and hopefully nothing more serious).

Yes, as the others have said, take the centre of the lane. Start this as you approach the roundabout.

However, as the others have also said, these sort of roundabouts are not easy, but if you can, keep your nerve and hold the lane. Obviously keep your wits about you and try and keep an escape route open at all times.

Tynan

Veteran
big roundabouts and junctions I'd always take a plumb primary and stay there, signal like you're taking your driving test, be big and bold and confident

not nice if there's no lights though, didn't know there will still any like that

Jaded

I'd have dropped in behind the blue car, not gone up next to it. I'd see that as a clear signal to cars behind that I was taking my lane. Going up the side suggests that you are happy to be one side of a lane.

Origamist

Legendary Member
After watching it again - when you actually get passed (approx 40 secs), you are in the centre of the nearside lane...

Cab

Jaded said:
I'd have dropped in behind the blue car, not gone up next to it. I'd see that as a clear signal to cars behind that I was taking my lane. Going up the side suggests that you are happy to be one side of a lane.

Kind of. I mean, I often hear people say that such positioning encourages close overgaking later on, but surely everyone (even motorists) know and understand that different positions within lanes mean different things depending on where you are and what you're doing; using one lane position at one time does not imply that the same position is appropriate or desireable later on?

Tynan

Veteran
entirely too sensible cab, it's my opinion that on things like big roundabouts drivers barely know what to do, let alone consider what a bike is doing, you have to make it really really easy for them, take a lane/position and force them to recognise you as 'one of them' rather than something else

Origamist

Legendary Member
Tynan said:
entirely too sensible cab, it's my opinion that on things like big roundabouts drivers barely know what to do, let alone consider what a bike is doing, you have to make it really really easy for them, take a lane/position and force them to recognise you as 'one of them' rather than something else

The problem is that a cyclist cannot control the lane in the same way as motor vehicle - your vehicular "footprint" is too small. A central position can help, but you are still vulnerable in these situations.

Looking at the layout of that RAB, I'd want to avoid it, if at all possible.

Tynan

Veteran
of course but it's about doing your best, by being central and signalling confidently you defy them to crowd you rather than inviting them to

not contentious surely?

OP
OP
mr_cellophane

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
The trouble with coming from Romford (as I was) and getting to the point where I turned off is that the pavement on the right is only wide enough to push a bike round. The are too many over growing trees and road signs to make cycling round it if you meet a pedestrian who has more rights there that you as the CP just stops some way before the roundabout.
You then have to cross one half of the A127, pass under the flyover and then cross the second half with cars flying off the roundabout. With the flyover closed for repairs I considered taking the road to be easier and safer than crossing the road on foot. Perhaps I was wrong :biggrin:

Top Bottom