How should I train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wingnutter

Regular
Hi I'm doing Manchester to blackpool charity ride July 10th. How many hours per day should i ride ( no work lost eye sight in right eye). Only school drop off and pick up, school is pissing distance from house. I no blackpool isn't 200 mile away but could do with a bit of training advice. What worked for you guys and what you did that you tell people "never do that". Cheers.

it shouldn't be a big challenge. How long is the ride (google says 60miles). How far are you travelling now? I'd say go out every day or every second day. Go a little longer most times. When you get to 2/3 of the distance and aren't feeling too puffed, you can do the full distance. You probably have time to have a few runs at the full distance. If so, it should be a walk in the park.

Sharky

Guru
Great believer in "less is more". I rarely do longer than an hour, but always at "tempo". How far is the ride, about 50? If you can do that amount over 4 days per week and every week, you'll have no problem.

OP
OP
wingnutter

wingnutter

Regular
I'm not really doing any major miles. I've never gone further than half hour there half hour back (if you no what I mean)

Sharky

Guru
If you just do that 3 or 4 times per week, you'll be fine. worry about the longer rides later.
Good luck

Tin Pot

Guru
First up, are you sure you should be riding with your injury? Indoor training can be far more effective.

Otherwise, pick some destinations, choose some routes, find some hills and vary what you're doing. It will keep you interested.

As for the naysayers, don't say anything. You will be surprised at how quickly they go from "you'll never do that" to thinking that you're some kind of superhuman because you can ride a couple of hours. :smile:

rugby bloke

Veteran
Firstly well done for taking up the challenge. I would say ride as regularly as you can, it does not always have to be massive distances, 10 or 20 miles can be ideal if you are riding 3 / 4 days a week. Try to fit in a few longer weekend ride, look to peak out at 3/4 distance. Stick with it and you will be amazed how you improve on the months. Good Luck !

I'm not really doing any major miles. I've never gone further than half hour there half hour back (if you no what I mean)
Even though I have tried to do so, I think it quite hard to give advice on how much training you need to do if you aren't able to tell us where you are now.

Eg that could mean you are doing 20 mile loops in an hour several times a week (then you are good to go); or it could mean you are doing five miles to your mum's place, sharing a cuppa and cake and then five miles home (then you would need to start training)

Top Bottom