How Steep Is "Steep"?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Been told that "even a serious cyclist would have problems on the hill(pictured below, heights given in feet) mentioned".
How many regard the height gained too steep to cycle?
You start at 265 at the bottom.
Steep.jpg

hoopdriver

Guru
That’s 108 feet of elevation gain by the look of it - but over what distance? There’s no scale. If it is 432 feet that would be an average gradient if 25% and unpleasantly steep. Like some of the gradients in the Lake District - The Struggle perhaps, or Wrynose, but not as steep as sections on Hardknott Pass

If it is 864 feet and by the look of things, that would be nearer the mark, it would be an average 12.5% and while steep, something that I would pedal up daily on my rides around here without getting too worked up about it at all.

If it is longer than that, and my guess is that it is, then the gradient is shallower still and no big deal.

Unless there is something there I’m just not seeing

My guess is whoever told you that doesn’t ride much

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ha, you beat me to it - I was just about to post this ...

Is it steep.gif

About 7.7%, averaged over the whole distance. The steepest bit looks like 12.5% for 175 ft.

So, impossibly steep for many a non-cyclist (if they were to try it on a bike) but nothing to worry about for a reasonably fit cyclist who has a sensible bottom gear on his/her bike.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
108/1233 is only about 8.5%, sounds only "slightly steep" to me, although if the gradient isn't uniform, then there could be some nasty bits in there. I take it that it's pure coincidence that the road section is shaped like The Grim Reaper's sickle?
Pure coincidence on that last part, predating the hospital, top left.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
At least the hospital is waiting at the top to receive all the cyclists who suffer heart attacks from the strain of their arduous ascent! :okay:

View attachment 402301
There's the funeral directors(white building on the left) before the hospital.

Top Bottom