How things have changed . ( and not for the better )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When I look around with families nowadays, I can't believe how much educating your kids have changed.
Gone are the days when children helped doing chores in the house, sharing the same meal, sitting at the table , both for lunch and dinner. None of that " what do you want to eat? "
I know we had no computers, tablets and mobile phones then but even so, I am absolutely sure we wouldn't have been allowed to use them whilst eating.
We walked to school no matter what the weather was like or how far it was.
To be honest, I struggled to share today's parents way of educating them children. I very much prefer the way we were educated by showing respect, discipline and doing our bit to help at home. I think we were better prepared to face the real world in adulthood.
I will be for ever grateful to my parents for bringing me up the way they did. It certainly help me a lot as an adult.

Yup. Some military service didn't go amiss, either.

Gunk

Guru
In thirty years these will be the good old days!

it’s easy to live life looking in the rear view mirror, was life really that much better? in the 70’s and 80’s we had Thatcherism, 3 day week, endless strikes, IRA bombing campaigns. I know right now things are challenging, but they were challenging in the early ‘90’s and after the crash of 2007. I’m optimistic things will get better, rather than worse. My glass is (just) half full.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I'm a teacher and have been since 1980. Now as supply teacher I work quite a few different schools
Most of them are good but some pupils obviously don't have to pick things up or tidy up after themselves. In the 80's and 90's they seemed to be more self disciplined and helpful.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I’m optimistic things will get better, rather than worse. My glass is (just) half full.

My glass is half empty! That doesn't make me a miserable sod though (IMHO!), it's just that I think having been born in the early 60's I have lived through the golden age of just about everything.
From here on in, I think the human race is on a downward spiral of self destruction, and I for one am glad I won't be around to see the result (unless the downward spiral suddenly accelerates, which is a possibility). Happy to say that I have not produced any offspring to try and mop up the mess.

This Be The Verse
BY PHILIP LARKIN
They furk you up, your mum and dad.
They may not mean to, but they do.
They fill you with the faults they had
And add some extra, just for you.

But they were furked up in their turn
By fools in old-style hats and coats,
Who half the time were soppy-stern
And half at one another’s throats.

Man hands on misery to man.
It deepens like a coastal shelf.
Get out as early as you can,
And don’t have any kids yourself.

Gunk

Guru
My glass is half empty! That doesn't make me a miserable sod though (IMHO!), it's just that I think having been born in the early 60's I have lived through the golden age of just about everything.
From here on in, I think the human race is on a downward spiral of self destruction, and I for one am glad I won't be around to see the result (unless the downward spiral suddenly accelerates, which is a possibility). Happy to say that I have not produced any offspring to try and mop up the mess.

Bloody hell, I was born in ‘65 and I’m not that cheesed off with it all

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I think the world is a great place and a whole lot better than when I was a lad - only problem is is that I do not have enough years to go at!

As to kids - imo many parents that I know these days of late teens/early twenties are pathetic the way that they hover around doting on their kids and mopping up every little problem that comes their way.

I know of kids in their twenties with good, reponsible jobs earning really good salaries who (seemingly, according to their parents) have needed help buying houses, sorting mortgages, buying cars, sorting utility services, opening bank accounts etc.

The kids are perfectly capable and I think this is parents 'stepping in' when they can't let go.

Definitely help them in times of real crisis but for goodness sake let them grow up and sort things for themselves and let them make a make a few mistakes. You won't be there forever after all.

Brandane

Legendary Member
Bloody hell, I was born in ‘65 and I’m not that cheesed off with it all

I'm NOT cheesed off with it all either! That was my point; I've had the best of times during my time on this planet, and I am grateful for that. BUT - I can really see that the world is not progressing, in fact it is going backwards. Probably something which would be best discussed on the political echo chamber sister site. Suffice to say that I stand by my opinion that I have lived through a golden age, but it's all unravelling now.

markemark

Über Member
I remember when I was a kid and pensioners had a good understanding of the world. These days they fill their heads with Daily Mail style nonsense about how kids are badly brought up. They think that kids are no longer made to do chores and all kids can play with phones at the table.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Eee by gum. When I were a iccle boy, bikes were rubbish. :laugh:

TBH my dad was way too strict when I was little. He only mellowed when I was 10 plus as my two youngest siblings arrived then. Me and other sis had a tough time.

Top Bottom